opinions: F250 vs. F350

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah, that's the info I'm looking for. So it seems the 350 is a more "stiffly sprung 250" (obviously DRWs are different). They both must have the same gear ratios I'm assuming too.

Anyone have a tool to break down VINs so I can do a little more research?

exactly! well they all can come with the same gears. u can get 4 11's in a 250 as well as a 350 dually. so just ask questions when talking to the salesman. ask about gears and all that. i forgot to ask the gear question and my 3/4 ton had 4 10's! :cussing:

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Ok, I'm sure it's been talked about a million times, but forgive me I'm new here. If there's related threads, please pass them along.

Here's the story:
I'm looking for a 99-02 PSD (heard bad things about the 6.0L) for towing a camper and trailer with a car on it to the track. The camper will someday be a 28-33 ft. 5th wheel. Right now its a 23 foot Hybrid. I've got 2 kids so wife and I really like the crew cab short bed.

So for these years, what's the real differences between the 250 + 350? Is it just heavier springs? If so, can't those be bought somewhere (not at a stealership).

Seems like there's a large price difference in the 250 / 350 (in my area). Is it worth saving a few $ on a 250 and get the 350 springs at a later date?

I don't know anything about your state but in Michigan you have to consider the GVW if you will use the truck for any type of business purpose. Anything over 10K (my 350 is 11.5K gvw) they treat as a full blown commercial vehicle, I need a medical cert, yearly inspections, CDL, emergency equipment & a 480$ plate fee every year.

So you may want to check with your states DOT before deciding. (if you will do any business with the truck)

97CREWCABPSD

Smoke What Smoke Officer?
Reaction score
you could always get 350s in the 99 on up with the dana 60 if you had the sow plow prep package you didnt have to have the brackets or the plow but what you got was a dana 60 and heavier front springs

happeetxn

9/11 Never Forget
Reaction score
A side note here. It is nice to read these posts with lots of good info and opinions and have it remain a friendly conversation unlike some posts I have seen @ TDS. Just verbalizing my thoughts.
Craig

Mobeydick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally, and ive ranted about this b4...
the truck (at least in crewcab form) is a city
block long (even in short bed config)...whats
TWO more feet.

ive always thought the 350 & long beds had
greater resale potential (work trucks etc).

and i believe the 350 long bed rides better (less harsh),
when empty, because of its longer length.

ive heard many short bed owners WISH they had the long
bed (myself included, in two previous trucks)...ive never heard
a short bed owner say they bought too much truck/bed.

I've only owned 1 short bed and I will never own another!!

iamrazor

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have no garage, so that's not an issue.

Looks like I'm looking to the 350. I was just hoping I could squeak by with the 250 (and save a few $$$). There is quite a difference between the two in price here in NH.

as far as used PSD's go, how many miles would you put the cap on? 100k? 75k?

Last edited:

happeetxn

9/11 Never Forget
Reaction score
I have no garage, so that's not an issue.

Looks like I'm looking to the 350. I was just hoping I could squeak by with the 250 (and save a few $$$). There is quite a difference between the two in price here in NH.

as far as used PSD's go, how many miles would you put the cap on? 100k? 75k?

Depends on if you could verify how well the truck has been maintained. I bought mine w/ 126K on it. I now have 320K.
Craig

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 250 has the overload springs also. In addition, I do not have a slider hitch, mine is a RBW. The pin is mounted directly over the axle. I've taken the 5er on a few long trips (one to San Antonio and one to New Orleans) with no problems at all. If you are going to do alot of towing, you might want to try the F350 Dually Shortbed. If you're not worried about the color, you can only get them in either black or white.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim