ordering a transmission cooler

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I have my eyes set on ordering the Hayden 679 transmission oil cooler for the Excursion,any other members running this cooler on their truck?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Looks like the second cooler I have.

I upgraded the small OEM cooler for the 7.3 to the larger one used on the gas engines.

I added the second, extra cooler later.

The biggest tip I can offer is to mount the cooler with the hose fittings on the side or on top but not on the bottom.

If the fittings are on the bottom, it will be difficult, if impossible to bleed all the air from inside the cooler.

If the fittings are on the side, hook the hoses up where the fluid going into the cooler is on bottom. That way the cooler will fill with fluid pushing all the air out.

If the fittings are on top, it'll bleed the air no pronlems as it fills with fluid.

BTW I did not mount it to the A/C condensor(?). I mounted some aluminum cross bars behind the grill and hung the cooler from that.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
i know the 6.0 cooler is good, but the darn things are just pricey!!! Are there other coolers out there (like the one Bill is considering) that are just as good? What kind of mounting issues could we run into? It just looks like there are other coolers out there that are the same size and would do just as good of a job. Is it just the ford name that makes the price high?

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you JRJ04, guess that's why I tried the heavy duty cooler with supercool from Autozone. For 60 bux I figured it's worth a shot. So after installing it, we shoot up to Charlotte for the Race Memorial Day Weekend. Aiken,SC to Charlotte has no mountains to speak of but is deffinately up and down hilly. Pulling an 8,000 lb TT I only saw temps over 160 when I had to goose it to get up some hills, 175 was the most i saw and that was only briefly, rest of the time it ran about 160. Mind you it was only about 80 degrees outside, and I have the sonnax kit installed so it shifts quicker than stock. Next on the list is an exhaust, my EGT's hit 1100 several times so that and an intake should make me feel better next time I tow.

JRJ04

Reaction score
what kind of tranny temps were you seeing before you installed the cooler? Seems like I heard you dont run much past 160 regardless of what youre doing to it.

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PRE-COOLER was 175-180 on normal unloaded hiway miles. That 165 was loaded with the trailer. Right now empty I see about 150ish max.

This is the first year I've had this truck so I'm gonna run it thru the hot part of the summer with lots of boat and camper pulling. Who knows, I may have to switch to a bigger cooler. But for right now 60bux beat out the 120 or more. :D

JRJ04

Reaction score
I totally agree. It gets well over 100* outside in Houston and I can be at 190* unloaded pretty easy. When I'm going down the beach in deep sand and have it under a good load itll climb up there quick. It hit almost 220* and I swear I smelled something burning! Everything is fine now, but I dont want to be stuck with it getting hot like that all the time. I would hope that a new cooler would help keep that under better control. Unfortunantly for a situation like that, an auxiliary fan might be necessary since I'm going slow and dont have airflow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58