ordering a transmission cooler

JRJ04

Reaction score
yep thats about what mine runs now...which in my opinion is a little warm. I know its still well within the ambient air +100, but if you throw a load behind that it would not at all be surprising to see that number climb to 200+. When im on the beach running in deep sand its gets up there quick!

Bill, are you going to just install it right in front of the condensor or are you going to remove the old cooler and put this one in its place?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I'm going to leave the stock cooler in place for now:sweet

The cooler will go in front of the condensor mounted to the two fiberglas vertical supports in front of it.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
I installed the gauge and sender yesterday:sweet

My initial temps on the highway was around 170-180 with ambient air temp of 90 degrees,does that sound about right for an 8,000lb truck?

I'm installing the cooler today but instead of hubbing it thru the radiator instead of most folks I'm going straight to the transmission thus why I'm seeking the correct size fitting/s so I can slip the 3/8" hose onto.

Those numbers are good.;tu

Your cooler should have the barb fittings included.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Those numbers are good.;tu

Your cooler should have the barb fittings included.
Only barb fitting that came with the kit was the one for the bottom of the radiator,I need barb fittings for the send and return connections on the side of the transmission itself.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Only barb fitting that came with the kit was the one for the bottom of the radiator,I need barb fittings for the send and return connections on the side of the transmission itself.

Check your favorite auto parts joint. Ask to poke around the brass fittings if they hide them from the public.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I went to both my auto parts places and both stated they need the size and or type thread as their books and computers don't show that information.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Alrighty I was able to hard mount the cooler the grill support bars. The temps went from the 180-190 range down to 150-165 with 100 degree ambient temps in traffic and on the highway.;tu

I have the 679 cooler in series after the stock cooler which is fed from the radiator. I figure I can lower the temps even more if I take the radiator out of the equation,any ideas on how to accomplish that at the radiator cooler connection/fittings?

JRJ04

Reaction score
i would think you could just cut the lines, drain the fluid out of the lines running to the tranny, and then cap them both off?

Not a bad idea, but it will also help warm the tranny up in the winter so you might want to consider that side of it too.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
That's one thing I don't want to do is start hacking into the stock lines as yes it would be a good thing to have the trans warm during the near freezing weather we get for a week or two each winter:D

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score
Alrighty I was able to hard mount the cooler the grill support bars. The temps went from the 180-190 range down to 150-165 with 100 degree ambient temps in traffic and on the highway.;tu

I have the 679 cooler in series after the stock cooler which is fed from the radiator. I figure I can lower the temps even more if I take the radiator out of the equation,any ideas on how to accomplish that at the radiator cooler connection/fittings?
Not many here bypass the radiator cooler. Running it through there will aid in warm up times. Besides, the bottom of our rads (where the cooler lives) is much cooler than the engine temp. Temp is lower at the bottom. You can feel the upper and lower rad hoses.
In the streets the lower will even feel cold at times. On the hwy it will balance. But is not a problem due to the % of fluid flow to the cooler in a E4OD. My WAG is, it doesn't get much over 190º even when working it hard.

I should recommend to use the rad cooler, then out to the air to air with the thermo bypass in between, because I agree, too cold can't be good. Before you install the therm, the temps would take 20-30 miles to get up to 160º (which is the ideal tranny temp, because like most other mechanical stuff...they have a design operating temp) and then continue to climb. After the installation of the thermo bypass it gets up to temp within 5-10 miles.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58