Other Toys

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Sweet stuff! Do programmers work really good on the gas powered trucks?

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet stuff! Do programmers work really good on the gas powered trucks?

I was doubtful at first, but I heard a lot of good things. With an intake and higher flowing exhaust it makes a big difference on MPGs. If you know what you're doing and tune it up right, it helps a lot with acceleration. What I did is I firm up the shifting, and lower the shift point RPMs so it would shift a bit later, that helped with off the line, it stayed in first and second a bit longer. Than I adjusted the "wide open" throttle, so when Id stomp on the gas it would actually give it more fuel, not much, but just a tad.

I dont think it makes as much of a difference as a diesel programmer, but when I unloaded the program to sell the chip, i noticed a HUGE difference. I was getting 15-19 mpgs (19 freeway) with the chip, and back down to 11-15.

It was also nice to adjust my speedo to the oversized tires, it also would monitor cyl head temps, air intake temps, mph, avg mpg, and all kinds of things. I would def recommend it to another f150 owner.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Sweet. Might have to see if I can talk my bro into one on his F150. Didnt think it would make that big diff on a gas truck compared to a diesel. Are they usually the same price as a diesel programmer?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was doubtful at first, but I heard a lot of good things. With an intake and higher flowing exhaust it makes a big difference on MPGs. If you know what you're doing and tune it up right, it helps a lot with acceleration. What I did is I firm up the shifting, and lower the shift point RPMs so it would shift a bit later, that helped with off the line, it stayed in first and second a bit longer. Than I adjusted the "wide open" throttle, so when Id stomp on the gas it would actually give it more fuel, not much, but just a tad.

I dont think it makes as much of a difference as a diesel programmer, but when I unloaded the program to sell the chip, i noticed a HUGE difference. I was getting 15-19 mpgs (19 freeway) with the chip, and back down to 11-15.

It was also nice to adjust my speedo to the oversized tires, it also would monitor cyl head temps, air intake temps, mph, avg mpg, and all kinds of things. I would def recommend it to another f150 owner.

Yep, X2.. I cut the Mondo muffler & resonator off our Sport Trak and put on a "shorty" Flomaster.. re-tuned everything just a bit with a Hypermax. Saw the same results. Stock, When I stomped on it.. it Wanted to go, but just couldn't.. now.. it'll Scoot right along. Not Whizbang.. just better.. all 'round, 3-4 + MPG's. Sounds more bedder too.:sly

Sweet. Are they usually the same price as a diesel programmer?

Seems I payed about the same as I did for my current Quadzilla on my 350 .. $300'n change. :dunno

Joe

Last edited:

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks silverstroke! Well atleast you got to keep one vehicle of your dads. You got any pics of the truck and fairmont? Was that fairmont a 2 or 4 door?

It was a gold 1982 Fairmont Futura 4 Dr. Had the 200 cid 6. I never really liked it and would have rather had the truck. My mom doesn't drive but wanted to keep the truck "so someone could haul off leaves" from all the trees around the house (never was used for that). The truck was pretty basic, not even a radio in it.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Yep, X2.. I cut the Mondo muffler & resonator off our Sport Trak and put on a "shorty" Flomaster.. re-tuned everything just a bit with a Hypermax. Saw the same results. Stock, When I stomped on it.. it Wanted to go, but just couldn't.. now.. it'll Scoot right along. Not Whizbang.. just better.. all 'round, 3-4 + MPG's. Sounds more bedder too.:sly

Seems I payed about the same as I did for my current Quadzilla on my 350 .. $300'n change. :dunno

Joe

I will be gettin my cobra dynoed and tuned as soon as I get it back together. That should definately wake it up. I raised the compression up quite a bit so my fuel mileage should be a lil better anyways.

It was a gold 1982 Fairmont Futura 4 Dr. Had the 200 cid 6. I never really liked it and would have rather had the truck. My mom doesn't drive but wanted to keep the truck "so someone could haul off leaves" from all the trees around the house (never was used for that). The truck was pretty basic, not even a radio in it.

Those Fairmonts are good drag cars since they were based on the fox body stangs. You still drive the truck around?

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Sweet jeep! Where you wheelin at in that pic? I go to Colorado every yr to ride in the mountains. Goin back to St.Elmo/Tin cup area in the spring or summer. Any other places you would recommend? We mainly take our atvs up there. I'd take my truck up some of the trails.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
My fifth wheel travel trailer is my other big toy, it's in my signature picture.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You still drive the truck around?

No, my mom sold it to one of her neighbors who had a son that had just gotten his driver's license (not thinking that she had two grandsons - my kids - who would also be getting their licenses in a few years). The kid only drove it a few months and hit a tree with it. If we'd had it, we probably would still be driving it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58