Other Toys

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
No, my mom sold it to one of her neighbors who had a son that had just gotten his driver's license (not thinking that she had two grandsons - my kids - who would also be getting their licenses in a few years). The kid only drove it a few months and hit a tree with it. If we'd had it, we probably would still be driving it.

Man I'd be so mad! Definately would have kept it for HER own grandkids. Makes it worse when somethin you hold dear like that gets totaled. Sad day.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
My fifth wheel travel trailer is my other big toy, it's in my signature picture.

How does your truck do pullin your 5th wheel? I know it can handle it but i've never hooked a gooseneck or 5th wheel to my truck. I'd like to get a flat bed gooseneck trailer one of these days since my truck does have a turnover ball.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
How does your truck do pullin your 5th wheel? I know it can handle it but i've never hooked a gooseneck or 5th wheel to my truck. I'd like to get a flat bed gooseneck trailer one of these days since my truck does have a turnover ball.
I'm happy with it. I get anywhere between 9 and 11 mpg towing it, depending upon terrain and headwind. I got 9 mpg coming back from San Antonio back to Florida, fighting 30 mph headwinds all the way at 63 mph. 63 mph is where the Tow Haul keeps the transmission in top gear instead of hunting around. She tows very well, sometimes I have to check the mirrors to see if the trailer is still attached. I have a Reese 15K slider hitch, I don't really use the bed that much, I have a utility trailer that sits much lower to the ground, it better for going to the big box home improvement store.

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet jeep! Where you wheelin at in that pic? I go to Colorado every yr to ride in the mountains. Goin back to St.Elmo/Tin cup area in the spring or summer. Any other places you would recommend? We mainly take our atvs up there. I'd take my truck up some of the trails.

That was on a trail near Grand Junction. It's pretty hot there in the summer so it would be better up in the mountains. I like the area around Buena Vista a lot. I've been wheeling around there several times. If you haven't been up on the Grand Mesa it may be worth a look.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I'm happy with it. I get anywhere between 9 and 11 mpg towing it, depending upon terrain and headwind. I got 9 mpg coming back from San Antonio back to Florida, fighting 30 mph headwinds all the way at 63 mph. 63 mph is where the Tow Haul keeps the transmission in top gear instead of hunting around. She tows very well, sometimes I have to check the mirrors to see if the trailer is still attached. I have a Reese 15K slider hitch, I don't really use the bed that much, I have a utility trailer that sits much lower to the ground, it better for going to the big box home improvement store.

Awesome. I know when I tow I wont be gettin very good mpg but every lil bit helps. I've seen you can buy a gooseneck adapter for 5th wheels. Are those any better than the 5th wheel hitches? I dont have a 5th wheel hitch (yet). Just depends on if I get a 5th wheel toy hauler or a travel trailer toy hauler. Leanin towards a travel trailer toy hauler cause I can still haul atvs in my bed. But I'd have to get a equalizer hitch.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
That was on a trail near Grand Junction. It's pretty hot there in the summer so it would be better up in the mountains. I like the area around Buena Vista a lot. I've been wheeling around there several times. If you haven't been up on the Grand Mesa it may be worth a look.

I've been around Buena Vista. I will have to check out Grand Mesa. I really love exploring old ghost towns and mines. And gettin to those places is a lot of fun. Im definately goin back to St.Elmo to finish what I started. We went up Tin Cup and other areas around there. You know any other ghost towns and mines to visit? Any books or other reading material you would suggest?

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been around Buena Vista. I will have to check out Grand Mesa. I really love exploring old ghost towns and mines. And gettin to those places is a lot of fun. Im definately goin back to St.Elmo to finish what I started. We went up Tin Cup and other areas around there. You know any other ghost towns and mines to visit? Any books or other reading material you would suggest?

If you don't already have it, the Charles Wells books are great.
Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4WD Trails (3rd Edition) [978-1-934838-04-4] - $29.95 : FunTreks Guidebooks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58