Over heating 7.3 in Oz

Bigdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys have not been hear in a long time but have a problem with my 02 7.3 over heating going up steep grades , it has only done it two times but when you stop it gets hotter so i keep on driving till i get over the top and drive down the other side it returns to its normal tem ???? if you have any ideas i will look in to all of them .
Thanks Bigdog

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
two things come to mind without much thought..
fan clutch

limed up (internally) radiator

given the track record of the fan clutch, I think I'd start there..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
two things come to mind without much thought..
fan clutch

limed up (internally) radiator

given the track record of the fan clutch, I think I'd start there..

X2 with JLD.. Might be time for the radiator to be acid flushed/cleaned. What does the coolant look like ? Clean & Clear ?

How many Km's has it been since a Coolant System Flush and Change.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
X2 on the fan clutch.

Do you hear a loud roaring sound as the engine temps get hotter?
If the fan clutch is working properly, you should hear the fan clutch when it kicks in as the engine gets hot. It'll sound like an aircraft engine during takeoff. Once the engine cools off the sound will go away.

On edit: FWIW, I not long ago, posted a quick explanation of how fan clutches work HERE. It might shed a little light.

Last edited:

Bigdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i do not have a clutch fan but a flex fan and the coolant is well as clean as coolant can be , on the egt i have replace the std outlet off the back of the turbo with a 99-03 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke Turbonetics Hi-Flow 31165 from dfuser and a 3.5 to 4 inch down pipe into a 4 inch system .

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
about the only thing I can suggest (as halfway around the world is a little out of my travel radius)..
if you can get access to a video bore-scope, maybe drain the radiator down and stick the bore-scope in the hose neck and look down at the ends of the tubes.. see if they have any lime buildup..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be the head bolts moving that little bit due to the build up of turbo presure ????

My .02 would be no.

Not likely in a 7.3 engine. They are almost bullet proof.

Dave

X2 what Dave sez.

I wouldn't be thinking "Heads" just yet, on a 7.3 either, Bigdog.

Take a look at the cooling system condition first. Test the coolant, Radiator coolant flow (like JLD said), Radiator AIR FLOW (Bugs), check the thermostat, water-pump.. that kinda stuff.. first ?

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58