overdrive shut off not working

scoutman77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I push the switch to shut off the overdrive on my 02 f250, nothing happens. the switch is good, I tested that. can't find a bad fuse in the fuse block. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

guzzle

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind is a problem that most Ford trucks with automatics have at some time. The wires that cross over the stearing column from the shift lever are prone to chaffing and can short out or get severed. If you remove the plastic cover protector from around the steering column, you will have access to inspect them for damage. If the wires are fine, you should check for codes to possibly narrow down suspect parts as it could be PCM or tranny shift solinoids causing the problem. Normally if the PCM or tranny faults, your OD light will flash.

scoutman77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wires seem to be OK, there is also voltage at the switch, not sure why the light won't work whether or not the shut off does, will check the wiring diagrams this evening, maybe even get to a dealership to check whole system out with their magic computer. almost sounds like no ground if the light won't come on. even tried another switch. I will post back.

scoutman77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
evidently, the problem is in the shifter itself, the switch was good and everything tested from the wiring coming out of the shifter, good. The dealership is going to replace the whole shifter, $40 my cost plus half hour shop time. they said that this is a common problem, they have done a few of them. will find out friday if they are right.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
aint that a big chicken diner a whole shifter to correct what should have been a recall
the point on the shfiter where it tucks in under the rubber boot chaffs through on the plastic housing, I replaced mine in my 02
i carefully removed my switch and soldered in a new set of wires on teh outside and rwrapped em in thick heat shrink.
saved 40 buckaroos

FastColts

Love My PSD!
Reaction score
scoutman77 said:
when I push the switch to shut off the overdrive on my 02 f250, nothing happens. the switch is good, I tested that. can't find a bad fuse in the fuse block. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

May not be your problem since the od light is out rather than flashing but.... it may be worth checking the vehicle speed sensor located on top of the rear axle housing - easy enough to get to (10mm) and relatively $cheap$ if bad.

scoutman77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got the shifter replaced, cost almost $100, but thats the price I have to pay for buying busy all the time. (I think I might have to re-evaluate my schedule?!?!) Works great though, getting her all ready for the camping season.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14