Parallel Turbos Almost Ready for Testing

WackerJr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just a question.....

How do you have them being fed? Off opposite banks? Or does one turbo handle one side of the motor and vice versa?

95psdF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
WackerJr said:
Just a question.....

How do you have them being fed? Off opposite banks? Or does one turbo handle one side of the motor and vice versa?

Not really want to get into to many details until I get a little further along and have some conclusive results... ;)

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be cool if that works out with the .84 housings. 1 stock turbo screams.....2 is gonna be sweet!

WackerJr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
95psdF250 said:
Not really want to get into to many details until I get a little further along and have some conclusive results... ;)

only reason I asked is there is a distinct reason to feed one side from the other......the different smoke gave me the assumtion that it was being fed off of the same head....

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
For the purposes of your induction system, you are basically running two 222 cubic inch 4 cylinder engines (i.e., each turbo is fed by 222 cubic inches of engine) which means that your turbo housings need to be small. On the order of how small they would be on a 222 cubic inch 4-cylinder engine. I am not sure how small that is, but I do know that 1.0 is WAAAAAY too big (as it appears you found out).

I am sure that you've heard all of the debate from everyone as to why this setup is not optimal, so I'm curious as to why you did it? There is no real advantage to running parrallel twins, as far as I can tell. The only benefit is that each turbo is smaller, and therefore has less spinning mass, so they should technically spool faster, but even then, they each only have half the exhaust power available spinning them (but on the flip side, are each only feeding half the engine...).

I guess the only real benefit I've ever heard from them is quicker spool, but you an do that in other ways with a big single, too.

On that note, I still applaud your willingness to experiment with it and give it a shot. I'm not criticizing you, just wondering what caused you to go this route.

I hope it works out for you, and hope she ends up running sweet!

95psdF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
For the purposes of your induction system, you are basically running two 222 cubic inch 4 cylinder engines (i.e., each turbo is fed by 222 cubic inches of engine) which means that your turbo housings need to be small. On the order of how small they would be on a 222 cubic inch 4-cylinder engine. I am not sure how small that is, but I do know that 1.0 is WAAAAAY too big (as it appears you found out).

I am sure that you've heard all of the debate from everyone as to why this setup is not optimal, so I'm curious as to why you did it? There is no real advantage to running parrallel twins, as far as I can tell. The only benefit is that each turbo is smaller, and therefore has less spinning mass, so they should technically spool faster, but even then, they each only have half the exhaust power available spinning them (but on the flip side, are each only feeding half the engine...).

I guess the only real benefit I've ever heard from them is quicker spool, but you an do that in other ways with a big single, too.

On that note, I still applaud your willingness to experiment with it and give it a shot. I'm not criticizing you, just wondering what caused you to go this route.

You are correct about all the debate as to how optimal this type of setup will be and yes I have heard and read it all.

So why did I do it?? Well I guess the best answer is that no matter how much debating goes on nothing will be accomplished in the end other than a bunch of speculation.

So this is where I come in. I wanted to do something outside of the box so I was not like everyone else out there running single big turbos or compound setups. I decided that there had been enough debating and speculation and it was time for someone to step and try out a setup like this and see what the out come was.

So what you see is what I ended up with. Even if I am not happy with the end results I guess I will atleast have the pride of saying I had the balls to step up and try it. I went into this project with an open mind that if it does not perform well then back in the shop it will go and I will try something different. I guess I could have kept this all hid and if it did not work then know one would have never known, but I wanted everyone to know what the outcome was so it would hopefully answer some questions for alot of people.

I am not having any second thoughts at all about this setup yet. I just wish I had more time to mess with it.

Thanks for your input and opinions.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:

hoss, I was thinkinh the same thing.
might try a turbo from a mercur.. it used a pinto 4 banger and a turbo set up off the 4cly thunderchicken, very small and would probalby work. i think they were set to go dump round 18 psi. but its been a while
i to am eagerly waiting for the next set of videos..:sweet

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
95psdF250 said:
You are correct about all the debate as to how optimal this type of setup will be and yes I have heard and read it all.

So why did I do it?? Well I guess the best answer is that no matter how much debating goes on nothing will be accomplished in the end other than a bunch of speculation.

So this is where I come in. I wanted to do something outside of the box so I was not like everyone else out there running single big turbos or compound setups. I decided that there had been enough debating and speculation and it was time for someone to step and try out a setup like this and see what the out come was.

So what you see is what I ended up with. Even if I am not happy with the end results I guess I will atleast have the pride of saying I had the balls to step up and try it. I went into this project with an open mind that if it does not perform well then back in the shop it will go and I will try something different. I guess I could have kept this all hid and if it did not work then know one would have never known, but I wanted everyone to know what the outcome was so it would hopefully answer some questions for alot of people.

I am not having any second thoughts at all about this setup yet. I just wish I had more time to mess with it.

Thanks for your input and opinions.

Good enough for me!!! :sweet I think it is great that you are giving it a shot, I'm excited to see what heppens, and like I said, i applaud your ability and willingness to try it, even amongst what I'm sure has been a lot of negative opinion.

Your setup looks sweet. Very nicely done....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14