Parental words of wisdom

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Grandfather was the wisest man I ever knew. He was born in 1901. At 8 years old, he was helping his father spread hay, and he was poked in the eye with a pitchfork, and lost his eye. By the time he was ready to go back to school he was way behind and dropped out in the sixth grade to help out on the farm. I am a college graduate, and if I live to be a hundred I will not be half as wise as he was. One of his saying was.

Kids should be seen and not heard.

My fathers favorite saying to all of his boys (4) was:
At this rate, your mother is going to be a man before you are.

What do you remember your father/grandfather saying to you?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
A man that straddles the fence, gits a sore crotch.
(in other words, make a decision)

Last edited:

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My father always told me to "be as good as the best, better than the rest and way the heck above average."

Since I am now old enough to realize that my dad is usually right, that saying has become my life motto.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was 10 years old, my Grandfather and I were talking and I told him that Grandma was wrong about something she said. Grandpa then said to me:

When she is right she's right, and when she's wrong she's right.

It took me years to learn what he meant.

" When Grandma speaks, we listen and shut up."
Gramps backed her 100% right or wrong, and we had better also.

If you are young enough or lucky enough to have your Grandparents or Parents, still living, take the time to love them and listen to them.

Last edited:

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
When I was a late teenager I stood up to my old man. He looked me in the eye and said "Boy... you may be bigger than me, but I'll still kick your azz" I knew he was right and now that I'm a grown man and he is now near 80 years old. I still think he could. When ever I think about losing my dad it brings a tear to my eye.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Thanks Maxtor for making me remember that saying. When my daughter was young I was glued to the TV and she was trying to talk to me. I give her that line that kids should be seen and not heard so she marched in front of the TV and quietly started doing this little jig back and forth in front of me. We both started laughing then we talked. Thanks again.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
yup im from the "kids are to be seen and not heard"era.grammy said that to us all the time.i was the same way with my kid but his mother didnt like it.i was also raised that children do not belong in thier parents bedroom for ANYTHING unless there was an emergency.and still to this day i will not go in my parents room till they tell me to go in.my 2 brothers and sister walk right in like they own it and thats when stuff disappears.i tried to raise my kid and the exs daughter like that.the ex didnt like it.she always let them do what they wanted.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
My Grandfather was the wisest man I ever knew. He was born in 1901. At 8 years old, he was helping his father spread hay, and he was poked in the eye with a pitchfork, and lost his eye. By the time he was ready to go back to school he was way behind and dropped out in the sixth grade to help out on the farm. I am a college graduate, and if I live to be a hundred I will not be half as wise as he was.

to be totally honest with everybody here i think education/schooling is a waste.some of the old timers that i know and have known dropped out of school at very young ages and were way smarter than any person that went to college or whatever.they had street smarts.i dropped out of high school senior year but ive got plenty of street smarts.and although i got myself into a little mess im still way smarter than the kids i went to school with.the only thing they know is what the books taught them.if i ask them a simple question about something they cant answer it unless they have a book in front of thier face.what good does that do?i dont want to start an arguement so if thats what happens please delete this post.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
My Grandfather was the wisest man I ever knew. He was born in 1901.
Mine was the wisest man I will ever know :sweet He was born in 1914 and died last month at the age of 94. He retired at the age of 57 and spent the last 37 years of his life doing nothing but helping friends and neighbors. If I could be half the man he was I would be doing good.

to be totally honest with everybody here i think education/schooling is a waste.some of the old timers that i know and have known dropped out of school at very young ages and were way smarter than any person that went to college or whatever.they had street smarts.i dropped out of high school senior year but ive got plenty of street smarts.and although i got myself into a little mess im still way smarter than the kids i went to school with.the only thing they know is what the books taught them.if i ask them a simple question about something they cant answer it unless they have a book in front of thier face.what good does that do?i dont want to start an arguement so if thats what happens please delete this post.
But proper spelling, capitalization, punctuation and spacing would make your post easier to read. They teach those things in school ;) <- Please note the wink :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58