PCM Reflash Issues?

J. Vallandingha

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I took my truck in for it's 25K oil change on 4/9/11. Dealer installed the PCM reflash 11B23B. The truck is absolutely 100% factory stock. Since this service I have noted the following:

- Fuel mileage is still miserable. No better/no worse.

- Engine does not seem to be as quiet as it was originally, nor seem to run as smooth. (seems to have a lot more of the "diesel clatter")

- Transmission shifts a LOT rougher.

- Turbo booost guage generally reads less than it used to in all driving situations. Used to routinely pass the 3rd mark on the boost guage, doesn't even get there now.

- Truck used to not even notice my trailer, now you definately know it's back there.

- I have not seen a DPF cleaning cycle in over 2K miles! The inside of my dual exhaust tips are definately sooty/black. Never noticed this before today. The longest the truck had ever gone between regens was about 450 miles since new.

Not sure this is all related to the reflash, but sure is a coincidence if it isn't. Has anyone else noticed these characteristics after the reflash?

Finally, we have been having more than our share of rain lately here in the midwest, I have experienced the EXACT symptoms called out in TSB 08-25-1 (white smoke, severe stumble during moderate tip-in, etc.). I understand this TSB applies to trucks built prior to 10/1/2008. Mine was built 6/2009. Is there a similar TSB for newer trucks?

:dunno:dunno

J. Vallandingha

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Called my dealer today. Spoke to the Service Manager. I asked what the reflash was supposed to do. He read off a list of things it is supposed to fix, ironically, the list was very similar to my list of complaints since having it done, except for the no notice of regen. When I told him that, he said something may have gone wrong with the reflash and asked me to bring it back for them to check it out, ASAP. He said they have a "Master Diesel Tech" and he specifically scheduled him to look at my truck. Not sure which "tech" serviced and reflashed my truck, I am going to ask that when I am at the dealership.

The Service Manager also told me that sometimes vehicles not specifically in a VIN range or build date range can exhibit a specific problem (i.e. TSB 8-25-1 issue). He said he would have the Master Diesel Tech check that issue too. Basically, it is possible for my 6/09 build truck could have this problem.

We'll see what they find.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They had to reflash my truck the DPF cleaning was stuck on for over 200 miles and I could not get it to shut down. After the reflash again it would come on for about 20 miles around 3 times a day for the first week then shut down. It's been find for the last 800 miles have not seen it come on at all. MPG still miserable city, hwy seems better getting 20 to 23 mpg running 60 to 65 mph. If I run 70 I get 18.5 to 19 mpg. towing my 8500 pound 5ther I get 10 to 12 mpg at 60 mph. This is with 4.10 gears.

Last edited:

J. Vallandingha

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Went to the dealer today. Master tech checked out the truck and reflashed the PCM with the 11B23B program. Based on the tech code on my receipt, he did NOT do the initial reflash on my truck. I ran it pretty hard on a 100 mile road trip this afternoon. My mileage actually was improving, on the meter, while driving on the interstate at 75 - 80 mph. The truck acts like it's old self again. :clap::clap:

I learned some things about the 11B23B reflash:

- the instrument panel will only display when a regen cycle starts for 4 seconds then reverts to the previously selected display. Not sure I like this even though having "cleaning exhaust filter" displayed continuously was annoying too.

- they were able to tell me how many miles ago my truck went thru a regen cycle, whether they were completed or were interrupted. They were able to tell me at least 4 cycles worth of history. I would normally try to drive my truck until regen finished. I guess that wont happen now since there is no display to let you know the regen status.

The ability to see this regen history makes me wonder about the claims of some of the tuners to be "undetectable" by Ford. If you install a DPF delete pipe and tuner and drive a few thousand miles then "put it back stock" for a service visit, wouldn't the tech theroretically be able to see that no regen cycle had occurrred in a really long time? Seems like this would raise all kinds of flags with Ford, especially if there were some sort of warranty work in play.
:dunno

pubs34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worried about the reflash, I am just totally impressed that you can get 23 mpg with 4.10 gears, been around trucks all my life and bounced around these boards for a few years and have never seen any claims as high as yours. My suggestion, never do any mods to the truck or never get rid of it, you have one of a kind that Ford must have did something to by accident. WOW, I am impressed.................................:clap:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worried about the reflash, I am just totally impressed that you can get 23 mpg with 4.10 gears, been around trucks all my life and bounced around these boards for a few years and have never seen any claims as high as yours. My suggestion, never do any mods to the truck or never get rid of it, you have one of a kind that Ford must have did something to by accident. WOW, I am impressed.................................:clap:

I cant stand driving 58 to 60 mph. But seems to be the zone for the best MPG, if I slowly go to 65 it will hold it for some time but then it starts dropping off down to 19.5 MPG at 65 mph. I just did a round trip to from tampa fl to homestead fl 600 miles 21.3 MPG there and back at 62 mph with the cruze on.

pubs; Being in florida the closes thing to a hill here is a overpass....lol

pubs34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you hand calculating this or going of the LOM, I can make mine read 30 mpg but not getting anywhere close to it. Still a 6.4 with 4.10 getting 23 mpg even with no hills is fantastic.........And not trying to be a azz about this just impressed...........

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all by hand.:dunno Everytime I think I have this figured out something changes. I buy a lot, and I mean a lot of shell fuel. Sat. I ended up get some fuel from racetrack and the mileage tanked hard. 11.2 mpg city and 17.4 hwy. Only thing I can think of is cetane count. I know that these truck have to have a cetane count of 45 or higher for good MPG. Almost everybody sells it with 35 to 40 cetane count. The feds dont test at the pumps. I try to get fuel with a 40 count cetane and I add cetane to that fuel to get the count up. I dont know. :dunno I drove fuel tanker trucks for years so I know the stations that have the higher cetane count. Shell and Hess have the highest cetane count.

Pubs add some biodiesels

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58