PCM Reflash Issues?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just in case you did mot know..

Generally, diesel engines run well with a cetane (CN) from 40 to 55. Fuels with higher cetane number which have shorter ignition delays provide more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesels operate more effectively with higher cetane number fuels. There is no performance or emission advantage when the CN is raised past approximately 55; after this point, the fuel's performance hits a plateau.

In Europe, diesel cetane numbers were set at a minimum of 38 in 1994 and 40 in 2000. The current standard for diesel sold in European Union, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland is set in EN 590, with a minimum cetane index of 46 and a minimum cetane number of 51. Premium diesel fuel can have a cetane number as high as 60.[1]

In North America, most states adopt ASTM D975 as their diesel fuel standard and the minimum cetane number is set at 40, with typical values in the 42-45 range. Premium diesels may or may not have higher cetane, depending on the supplier. Premium diesel often use additives to improve CN and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs.

Dimethyl ether may prove advantageous as a future diesel fuel as it has a high cetane rating (55) and can be produced as a biofuel.[2]

Alkyl nitrates (principally 2-ethyl hexyl nitrate [1]) and di-tert-butyl peroxide are used as additives to raise the cetane number.

Biodiesel from vegetable oil sources have been recorded as having a cetane number range of 46 to 52, and animal-fat based biodiesels cetane numbers range from 56 to 60.[3]

pubs34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, bone stock the 6.4 can only run a 6 % blend so for most of my driving bio was not a option, I have a friend that has a duramax and was buying at a station that was selling a 18 % blend, he always bought his fuel there, it ended up costing him a bunch to get his truck fixed, dealer says it was the 18 % blend, maybe coincedence but the station is no longer selling that blend, it's selling a 6 % blend. Now that I have striped the DPF and Cat off I would like to try running some through, just nothing in my area that I know about. Can't run anything to ruff with the injectors on our trucks or i will end up like my buddy with the chevy. As per your previous post, the only hills you have is a over pass i laugh my azz off, I am up here in the north west, we have a few hills, also as of year to date we have only had one day this year that hit 70 degrees, it's still snowing in the mountains and the ski areas are still operating,you also are most likely running the summer blend of diesel, around here were still running the artic blend. What does the sun look like ???????

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, bone stock the 6.4 can only run a 6 % blend so for most of my driving bio was not a option, I have a friend that has a duramax and was buying at a station that was selling a 18 % blend, he always bought his fuel there, it ended up costing him a bunch to get his truck fixed, dealer says it was the 18 % blend, maybe coincedence but the station is no longer selling that blend, it's selling a 6 % blend. Now that I have striped the DPF and Cat off I would like to try running some through, just nothing in my area that I know about. Can't run anything to ruff with the injectors on our trucks or i will end up like my buddy with the chevy. As per your previous post, the only hills you have is a over pass i laugh my azz off, I am up here in the north west, we have a few hills, also as of year to date we have only had one day this year that hit 70 degrees, it's still snowing in the mountains and the ski areas are still operating,you also are most likely running the summer blend of diesel, around here were still running the artic blend. What does the sun look like ???????

I ran B99 in my 04 6.0 and it loved it had no problems with it. Did make the motor allot quieter to.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I ran B99 in my 04 6.0 and it loved it had no problems with it. Did make the motor allot quieter to.

I did also, for two years without any problems. I have moved out of the area where I got B99 and now run straight diesel.

Dave

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had about 4 places here making it and now there is none. There is a big problem with waste veg. oil theft here to a point that there is a 50k bounty on anyone taking it from restaurants.

J. Vallandingha

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It's been about a month since the dealer redid the reflash on my truck. I have put about 2100 miles on it in this timeframe. My observations are as follows:

- Mileage has definitely increased. Currently averaging about 17.5 (hand calculating) in my city/hwy driving. Was below 15 before.

- Truck has resumed it's quiet and smooth operation.

- Transmission is shifting much smoother again.

- Turbo boost guage is reading more like it did before 1st reflash attempt.

- Have not had another occurrence of the "white smoke" even though we continue to have incredible amounts of rain and humid weather.

- Exhaust tips show no black soot after I cleaned them up.

- I did catch a glimpse of the “Cleaning Exhaust Filter” message, once.

Having said all of this, I did make one other change at the suggestion of the Master Tech, “use a better quality of fuel”. I have started using a different fuel source. I was using Murphy USA and JayC’s (Shell?) fuel but have switched to using CountryMark “Diesel-R”. I do not know what the cetane rating of the Murphy USA or JayC fuel is but the CountryMark website states that their Diesel-R is a “premium diesel fuel” with a cetane rating of “50”. I have used a fuel additive since purchasing the truck. Initially, I used the Power Service diesel fuel treatment and last year switched to the Opti-Lube XPD fuel treatment. Both of these additives claim to “increase cetane”, but I am using them more for the lubricity quality than as a cetane booster. With the CountryMark Diesel-R fuel already at a cetane rating of 50, not sure how much difference more cetane would make in a box stock engine anyway.

J. Vallandingha

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had another episode of the "white smoke" and almost got into an accident because the truck simply wouldn't go when crossing through an intersection after having driven about 15 miles in a driving rain storm. I was due for my next oil change so I had the Master Tech check that out, again, while in the shop. He diagnosed the problem as a "bad charge air cooler" and replaced it under warranty. He cited TSB 11-2-2 for this repair. I have not noticed any real difference in performance, besides no more "white smoke" screens.

I have been running the CountryMark Diesel R and Murphy USA diesel fuel only, (w/ the Opti-Lube XPD additive) since my earlier service visit. My mileage seems to have leveled out at around 15 - 17 city and almost 19 highway (hand calculated). Strangely, the lie-o-meter has been showing very similar numbers.

With 36,000 miles quickly approaching, I have only paid for basic service (oil and filters); warranty reflashed the PCM (twice) and replaced the charge air cooler.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the white smokey thing only when I shut it off when it's in the DPF cleaning mode and it has been raining.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58