PCM Removal

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to drive this tomorrow ... so yeah ... emergency, lol.

I am trying to remove the parking brake assembly so I can see if the cable is broken. I have to get the beast inspected tomorrow. It popped on me the other day & no longer works. I am going to see if the cable is broken.

So apparently I have to remove the PCM to get to one of the bolts (up top). Under the hood, I loosened the 10mm bolt and slid the connector off. Inside the truck, I took the 2 little bolts out that hold the puter to the bracket. The PCM is not sliding out ... like something is still holding it in. What do I need to do from here?

Edit: I notice the black casing around the puter had a tab (the whole length of the left side). I can't figure out how to get it to release. And thank you Mr. Chilton for putting that part in the damn manual!

Last edited:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
There are three mounting bolts in the cab. Look up high towards the fire wall if I recall.

Scott

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Its been a while since I had my out but here goes. Someone will correct me if I forget something.

You have already taken the bolt loose from the under the hood wire harness on the firewall.........

On the inside of the truck the PCM is encased in a plastic sheath and the metal bracket goes over the top of that.

Undo the two small screws in the metal bracket toward the door jam.

Next there is a bolt high under the dash in the same plane with the left front fendor. (It might be a 10mm) Finally there is a nut at the bottom of the bracket down low on the firewall.

With all the hardware disconnected pull the metal bracket out then the pcm.

Tbar

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds nothing like what I have down there.

If any of you have a Chilton's ... mine is made JUST like the one they have pictured. Page 6-11 in my book. Only problem is ... following the instructions there do not help me out.

There is a black tab on the left side of the PCM holding it in. I need to know how to release it. Only way I can think of is to remove the bracket first (like Tbar said), but I see no way to do it. The only mounting nut I see on it is the one at the bottom on the firewall.

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is the emergency forum? Not alot of traffic here. No worries. Something just shorted out and the truck burned to the ground. Disregard.

Haha, j/k ... but seriously ... I need some help on this. I feel so dumb for not knowing how to get this thing out. As many of you that chip your rig, surely someone has to know!

SeventyMach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it now. You can delete this thread if you want.

Problem was ... with my truck being a MANUAL ... you can not see the top bolt for the bracket because of the clutch pedal assembly. And wiring up there doesn't help, either. :(

The thing I am pissed off about is that the Chilton's says NOTHING about having to remove the bracket itself. Just says to remove the PCM casing from the bracket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg