performance chip

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first time posting. I just bought a brand new Ford which I love. I am looking to get a chip for my 06 F250 diesel. Which one should I get for the best economy setting and performance setting?

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
My Edge Juice w/ Attitude has the following steps

0-Stock
1-Economy
2-Tow
3-Driving
4-Racing
5-Extreme

I got it and recommend it greatly, but lets see what anybody else has to say

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I dont have a chip so cant offer anything on that. However, from what I have read over the last several months, the most common recommendation is to replace your air intake and downpipe+exhaust first, then add a chip. I did those to mine and love the improved performance.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
Yeah, don't forget that, or else you're engine will be reaching its limits mucho faster my friend

I had to get an air intake before I did mine, luckily i had the money to do it all at once

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest getting guages installed before you do anything. Then as you start opening the intake and exhaust you'll be able to see the imporvements you made.

After the gauges and intake and exhaust upgrades, then you'll be ready for a chip.

A biggie to keep in mine since you have a new 6.0 ....... warranty!

I don't think I'd want to give Ford any reasons to void my warranty on the engine.

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. How much of a difference does the intake and downpipe have on engine performance and mpg? Also, what suggestions do you have for the best brands at the best price for those things?

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
janders said:
Thanks guys. How much of a difference does the intake and downpipe have on engine performance and mpg? Also, what suggestions do you have for the best brands at the best price for those things?

It's apples and oranges, I know, but when I installed the Tymar intake (link's in my sig) and the 4" MBRP exhaust (link in sig as well), I got probably 1.5 mpg over stock. That mileage increase does vary, though, depending on what kind of driving I do. If it's all highway, I might get 2 mpg better whereas mostly in-town driving nets me ~1 mpg better so that all averages out to a 1.5 mpg improvement.

Reaction score
And now for something different - just so you stay confused :D

First off, what all do you plan on doing? Lot of towing? Little towing? Wanna race? Just need a little pick me up? Everyone has different needs and therefore different mods. so let's start:

Air Intake - Unless you plan on racing I suggest you leave it alone. The stock filter does an excellent job of balancing performance and filtration. Keep in mind that your stock filter should be good for at least 20K if not more. I vote stock.

Exhaust - If you plan on any type of box/tuner/module it's a yes to upgrading or at the very least changing over to a high flow muffler to help lower your EGT's. 4" exhaust if you can afford it - muffler delete or high flow if you can't or don't want to.

Gauges - With any box/tuner/module you want to monitor your EGT's at the very least. This let's you know when your getting ready to have a melt down. Good thing to know :sweet Most will go ahead and install a boost and tranny gauge at the same time. So EGT guage at the least.

Box/Tuner/Module - Whatever you want to call them - everybody that makes one has a following as you can guess. I'm no different and after having used several others - I like Quadzilla. Let's say you don't want to do gauges or an exhaust - well I'd steer you towards the Xzillaraider XZT - non adjustable - but gives you a good little pick me up. You want more? Then go for the Xzillaraider in two flavors - standard and race. But now your installing gauges and exhaust. I like how smooth the power is with the Xzillaraider and the safety features it has. For starters it will not even kick in until your motor is up to operating temps. No more having to baby it when it's still cold. Also if your oil and water temps get to far apart it will revert to stock settings. In addition - it's very small, fits under the dash and the wiring harness takes about 10 minutes to install and looks like it's suppose to be there.

Anyway - now that I have written a book - welcome to SDD and congrats on the new ride :thumbs

Ron

Powersmokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for sure i would start with the exhaust. i have heard intakes can go either way its more or less how much u feel like listening to your turbo. gauges are nice too but remember if u think your gona go with the edge u get a set that is if u get the attitude gauge. but as to a chip i recoment the SCT excalibrator. they can make a custom tune to the mods of your truck. there are trucks with this programmer makin some serouis power.id go with either the sct or the edge. as to warranty u may want to talk to your dealer where u have your truck serviced. some dealers dont care and others do.:thumbs

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for all the input. I am not looking to tow anything with any size to it for now. Maybe in 5-10 years a fifth wheel camper when I can afford it. But for now and most likely for the duration of the truck I am looking for some mods that will increase mpg and give me a little more power when needed. I am not going to be racing the truck so that is not something I am looking for. I would like to get a chip/programmer. The edge sounds good because it comes with gauges along with it. If I get the edge, I would probably only be able to afford a high flow muffler. So, with all that said, would it make sense to get a high flow muffler and an edge programmer?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14