Perplexed with my 6.0

MuleMan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I realized I made a costly mistake and hoping for better results on this round but won't be surprised if I am back at them next spring.

kenter55

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No 5-40 is not too thin in warm temperatures. You need to do some research on oil and you will find the second number is the hot viscosity while the first is the cold viscosity. bobistheoilguy is a good site to check this out.
It is not thin at cold temperatures either, just “thinner” than an oil with a higher first number

MuleMan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
As a follow-up and closure... after a very long time of trying different fixes; I decided it was too costly to cut my losses and sell and purchase a new rig - so we did a complete top end rebuild.

Meaning, new heads (o-ringed), MAHL gaskets, ARP head Studs, FoMoCo rebuild fuel injectors, new Adrenalin HPOP, new coolant oil cooler, new FoMoCo injector wiring harness, rebuilt FICM, new FoMoCo IPC & IPR, 6.4 pushrods, upgraded 6.4 banjo bolts, new rear fuel crossover, new blue spring kit, upgraded egr delete, turbo clean, and replaced the old Edge Juice Attitude with the CTS3. There are probably a few other things I cannot remember which were checked, cleaned, replaced, or tweaked.

It now runs like new after all of the air left the system. This means I did not figure out the problems with my engine as I replaced about everything. This summer I will replace the turbo with a stage 1 'screamer' model. My latest challenge is to figure out what is the best programming to use on the CTS3 and purchase a fuel pressure sensor to add to the system.

The cost for parts and labor was probably around $7500, as I did hire out this job with a small local shop who could pull the cab (where I could not) and has more experience trouble shooting these things. I am very pleased with the way it runs and have 1000 miles on it now.

Also, there wasn't anything in my fuel tank as suggested to check for 'growth', just clean fuel. I use a coffee filter on an arm to swab around and looked at the pick up assembly for contamination.

Thanks to everyone who helped provide input with my vehicle challenges, I appreciate this forum and the people who feed it.

Ken (MuleMan/6BarJ), NW Wyo territory

YODA

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I know I am late to the thread, but I suspect your HPOP was leaking internally and providing erratic pressure to the injectors. I had mine go bad just over 100000 miles and my 6.0 acted as you described. I got rid of it as I found out many of the wiring harnesses and other parts are discontinued. Even IH no longer carries them. The Ford 6.0 is actually an IH built 444T with a few Ford changes. My 2022 6.7 should be at the dealer this week

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a follow-up and closure... after a very long time of trying different fixes; I decided it was too costly to cut my losses and sell and purchase a new rig - so we did a complete top end rebuild.

Meaning, new heads (o-ringed), MAHL gaskets, ARP head Studs, FoMoCo rebuild fuel injectors, new Adrenalin HPOP, new coolant oil cooler, new FoMoCo injector wiring harness, rebuilt FICM, new FoMoCo IPC & IPR, 6.4 pushrods, upgraded 6.4 banjo bolts, new rear fuel crossover, new blue spring kit, upgraded egr delete, turbo clean, and replaced the old Edge Juice Attitude with the CTS3. There are probably a few other things I cannot remember which were checked, cleaned, replaced, or tweaked.

It now runs like new after all of the air left the system. This means I did not figure out the problems with my engine as I replaced about everything. This summer I will replace the turbo with a stage 1 'screamer' model. My latest challenge is to figure out what is the best programming to use on the CTS3 and purchase a fuel pressure sensor to add to the system.

The cost for parts and labor was probably around $7500, as I did hire out this job with a small local shop who could pull the cab (where I could not) and has more experience trouble shooting these things. I am very pleased with the way it runs and have 1000 miles on it now.

Also, there wasn't anything in my fuel tank as suggested to check for 'growth', just clean fuel. I use a coffee filter on an arm to swab around and looked at the pick up assembly for contamination.

Thanks to everyone who helped provide input with my vehicle challenges, I appreciate this forum and the people who feed it.

Ken (MuleMan/6BarJ), NW Wyo territory

Ken (if you get notices) - I am just curious how you are enjoying your truck now!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64