Picked up a new toy, but have a question!

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold my dually here three weeks ago, and found this truck for the right deal, so I snagged it last week.

It's already been checked over underneath, diffs serviced, oil/filter changed, etc. It also received new shoes and has a slew of other parts on their way right now! But, I have a cold start issue. If I don't plug the truck in (even at 50 degrees), it chokes and sputters and blows smoke like a mad man til its warm.

I talked to my Ford mechanic buddy last week as my dad's 06 is having the same issue. He said Ford has a TSB out for this that cycles the injectors to get them "unstuck" before the truck fires. He also said that if the TSB doesn't work, I'm going to be buying injectors....

Soooo, is there any way to clean them or am I just going to be on the hook for some new ones?

Does this sound like my buddy is on the right track or could it be something entirely different? I hate to say this, but I've never owned one outside of the warranty period, so this is a whole new ball game.

Thanks in advance,
Rusty

IMG00178.jpg

IMG00179.jpg

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rusty,

There is a flash for the PCM that helps to elieveate this problem. I had the same problem on my 03, took it in and they flashed the PCM with the Inductive Cycling Flash that "preheats" the oil in the injectors by cycling the actuation coil in the injectors several times. I had that done 2 years ago and have not had that problem. I would not replace the injectors for this problem, because the new ones will do the same thing as they age.... If it is under warrenty it would be covered, if not my dealer will falsh the pcm to the latest flash for like $100 bucks........ that is much cheaper than a set of injectors ($1500-2000) for a set of 8.....

radtek223

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I did the cold weather update and it did make a noticeable improvement. All my injectors were firing within a couple of seconds on the coldest day. I thought the update drained the injectors at engine turnoff? Anyway, it didn't make the kind of difference it sounds like you need.

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Stephen please post up when your tech let's you know. I'm extremely curious.

Thanks!
Rusty

Teggleston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been doing this for the last 100,000 miles, I live in Las Vegas and during the winter have to plug it in. I ran conduit and a outlet out in the driveway with a commercial time clock that turns it on and off a couple times throughout the day and night so it ready whenever I am to go. I just thought it was life but I am interested in this new flash and will be running into the dealer to check it out, Thanks!

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
I know this may sound crazy but... my brothers 05 was doing this last fall/winter and he ended up checking the batteries and replacing them and that got rid of the problem...

maybe check both the batteries? I know that sounds crazy but its worth a shot

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is battery season. Time to check all of those questionable batteries and replace them if they are now 100%. Both of them.

Dave - You have been warned!

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a bit sluggish to start every now and again, so I suppose that could be part of the issue. Hmm, maybe batteries are needed. I know Dad's isn't batteries though because I just put new ones in his!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl