Pistol brand recommendations?

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a pistol or two in the near future and knew that several of you guys here at SDD have a lot of knowledge in this area.

I'm thinking about two different pistols:

1.) a compact semi-auto .45 acp
2.) a compact semi-auto 9 mm

I'd like to have both w/ tactical-type accessory mounts for a light & laser, in a popular brand of weapon so other accessories (holsters, extra magazines, etc.) will be easy to find and fit.

I'm planning on using these not only for personal protection (in the process of getting a carry permit), but also just for blowing off some steam and having some fun (since I now live in BFE). I'd like to keep the price around $500-600 if possible. The thought of laying down $1,500 for a pistol hurts too much! My pocket book is too fragile for that after making the payment on the SD! :roflmao

Let me know what you guys might suggest!

Fine69

Reaction score
I have a Smith & Wesson .40 that is really nice. You also can't go wrong with a Glock. Ruger also has some nice compacts.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
XD-9 is great little firearm, 4 or 5 inch barrel

colt 1911 45 acp is also very nice

and my favorite carry is a bersa 380 acp
its almost a perfect copy of the walther ppk, but without the issues

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Check out Glock pistols I carry a Glock 30 which is a subcompact .45ACP and I love it. Plus I can use the 13 round Glock 21 clips in it instead of the 10 round that comes with it.:sly

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses guys (knew I could count on ya!). After looking at the guns you all suggested, I really liked the XD line from Springfield and the little Bersa.

I've got a few questions about both:

1.) I noticed that the XD's are made from a composite material.... I'm wondering how this material will hold up 20-30+ years from now? I know it's a super-strong material, but I want this to be something that can be handed down to future generations.

2.) The XD's also came with a grip-safety.... Never had any experience w/ those- pros/cons?? Hard to shoot? Get in the way?

3.) The Bersa looks like an awesome little gun (under $300 too - definitely in my price range!), but I'm wondering if the caliber is too small? I really like the "big-bore/small frame" pistols. Guess it'd be good for a back-up gun - I just wanna make sure that I don't have to empty the clip to stop him! :guns:

I've already got a Rossi .44 Spl snub-nose revolver and I LOVE it! Guess that's what got me hooked on the larger calibers. :sweet

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glock 30 w/ 13 round clip... Daddy Likey!! Any idea what kinda $$$ I'd be lookin' at with one of those, Yooper? (ballpark)

Might have to ask Ol' St. Nick for one of those this year!

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Glock 30 w/ 13 round clip... Daddy Likey!! Any idea what kinda $$$ I'd be lookin' at with one of those, Yooper? (ballpark)

Might have to ask Ol' St. Nick for one of those this year!

I paid just over 500 for mine used and I think they are retailing for 659 and this was at Gander Mountain.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
I will probably get some "tongue lashing" from the other pistol snobs around here but, I would look at HighPoint if I were you. They aren't as pretty and they are kinda heavy, but you can get both a .45 ACP and a 9mm for $500 or less....yes.....2 guns for the price of one. I have both. I shoot them weekly and love them. They go bang every time, easily disassembled and reassembled, and have a lifetime warranty. Get on Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com and check around. You can usually get some good deals on there.

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No pistol snobs here! That's awesome- looked 'em up online and they offer:

- .45 ACP for MSRP $186.00
- 40 S&W was $186.00
- 9mm was $155.00
- .380 was $135.00

:dizzy

They may not be as "pretty" or have as many "doo-dadz", but I guess if you're just looking for a workhorse w/ a lifetime warranty... you can't beat 'em!

Thanks Iron! :clap:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58