poor inside heat

shelby69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
poor inside heat - she states it's fixed

Brother in law took the truck into a service shop (non ford dealer) and they replaced the thermostat. I am being told this solved the problem of poor inside heat. I have a hard time believing / understanding since I asked several times if the gauge was fluctuating while driving and I was told it was not.

Oh well, $150+ later, even though it is an 05 with 40K miles which I would think is under warranty and the issue is fixed. Thanks for all your help

Regarding the not being able to shift out of first gear when cold, I will have him take it to the dealer for that one. Diesel or not, trans should shift into 2nd even if the truck is ice cold. Both my VW jetta diesel manual and dodge manual says when cold, do NOT idle the vehicle - Drive it. I cringe when I see people with light duty diesel's idling them to "try" to get them to warm up. People don't realize that the amount of air entering the diesel is several times greater than a gas engine, remember, we don't have a throttle body on a diesel

Happy holidays and thanks again for all your help and efforts.

SAS

shelby69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, I talked with the brother in law last night and the shot gun approach that the service station did by changing the thermostatt did not fix the cold inside heat problem.

Does anyone know if his 2005 Ford diesel truck with 45K miles is still under factory warranty? he bought it from a used car dealer but I would assume the standard factory warranty would still apply for him.

Regarding the EGR, i would be surprised if they are activating the EGR at idle condition and if they do, that "could" make the coaking of the injectors even worse since EGR air does not burn. Regardless, there is a reason why the engine idle goes high after idling for a while since the engine is not making alot of heat.

Any suggestion on the warranty would be helpful.

Thanks

SAS

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
my suggestion, would be to call the local dealer with the full VIN # and current mileage, and the service writer should be able to tell you exactly what coverage is remaining.

shelby69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Need Help - Intermittent cab heat, engine is up to temp

2005 4x4 diesel truck
Issue - inside heat is sometimes warm and other times cold (will change while driving)

Verified - Thermo stat replaced. I have installed my scan gauge which monitors engine coolant temperature. Driver confirms that engine temperature gets up to 195 to 200 and stays at this temperature even when cold air comes out of the vents. I have a radiator block off to help bring up the temp quicker.

Vaccum lines - some members have suggested a broken / leaking vaccum line at the hubs. I have verified that the 4x4 system works and that the heater selection works properly (defrost to feet to vents, etc), therefore I do not believe that I have a vaccum leak at the hubs.

Question - Does ford have a pnuematic or electric shut off valve which controls the coolant flow from the engine to the heater coil? If so, maybe this valve is failing or intermittently opening and closing.

Does anyone have a schematic for the coolant system or a diagram of the coolant system?

I also thought about the air conditioner - maybe the A/C is turning on. I tried this theory with my dodge this morning and could not even tell a difference - hot air, really hot air.

Does anyone know how to confirm if the hot / cold selector is properly moving or controlling the air flow at the heater coil? My thought was if I knew how this worked, I could maybe over ride the switch by holding the controls at the heater core to the hot position.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Brother in law that owns the truck is ready to send this one on it way - all because of poor heat.

Scott

shelby69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No inside heat unless you rev the hell out of it, what gives?

Brother in law and I spent some time today trying to figure out his trucks poor inside heat issue and we actually found out WHEN it will give inside heat, only when you rev the snott out of it. Below is a summary.

I can idle the truck and get the engine temperature to 197F (I have a scan gauge), at idle, the truck will blow cold air out. If, and only if I rev the engine to 2500 to 3200 RPM will I get heat out of the truck.

I did verify that the vacuum valve located in the coolant supply to the heater coil is operating correctly.

I also verifed that the diaphragm for the inside air supply versus out side air supply is working correctly.

I was not able to find the "Door" or the device that opens / closes with respect to the hot / cold dial on the dash. I would like to find this so I can verify that this is working even at idle. Any help in finding this would be appreciated.

Only thing that is also weird is that the AC compressor will go on for a couple of seconds when I have the vent selector to vents and floor. If it is just on vents (to the left of off and above AC), then the AC compressor will not go on at all.

What could be causing heat to only be when I rev the piss out of the truck? Could it be the water pump impeller?

Please help

Thanks

Scott

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The AC runs to remove moisture from the air. This is normal. The AC will run in all heat positions except VENT.

Dave

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
from my understanding, it is up inside the dash....some say it even 'slams' open/shut so hard it sounds like a person is under the floor board wacking it w/ a bat.....this too is "normal" so the dealer says....

see your other post

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg