poor inside heat

shelby69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
HEAT PROBLEM SOLVED - Low coolant

Brother in law added coolant along with driving with the fill tank loose / cracked open, he was able to get the air bubble out of the system which now provides heat at idle.

Now the biggest question is whether or not the truck will eat coolant or loose coolant over time.

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She is probably not making it up when it comes to the speed/power limited when cold, but it would have to be ICE cold. Like 20 below zero or better, truck not plugged in, just barely starting situation. I imagine in wisconsin you get almost as cold as we do up her in northern minnesota, and these low temps might be hard for some of the southern boys on here to wrap their minds around. "Ice cold" as in 50 degree ambient outside just started the engine is a little different from -20 to -30 ambient just started the engine. My 05 6.0 does this all the time. Do you run 15w40 all winter, or change to a lighter oil? Mine especially does the no go when cold when I have the 15w-40 in it. Also, as to your vacuum leak possibility, the vacuum is very simple on this truck. It only runs 3 things. the vacuum hubs, a valve on the hot side of the coolant hose going to the heater core, and into the cab to run the mix door and vent selector on your heat system. It is easy to troubleshhot with a few basic tips. The vacuum is run not by engine vacuum, but by an electric vacuum pump and canister. There is not an infinite supply of vacuum, so leaks can cause bigger problems than they would in an engine vacuum setup. On your passenger side of the engine compartment, if you turn on the key, you will hear the vacuum pump begin to fill the vacuum charge canister. It will turn off after a while if the canister reaches level. If you don't hear the pump at all, check the pump. if it keeps running, check the canister and lines running to the vacuum control module. to check your hubs for leaks, sit in the cab,turn on the engine, turn the heat controls to vent, then turn the 4x4 switch from 2wd to 4wd high. If the hubs or a line leading to them is leaking the heater will switch to defrost for up to 40 seconds, then switch back to vent. There is also a vacuum line that runs to the valve on the coolant line that runs back to the heater core. I think this is the most likely cause of the problem with cab heat. the valve should be right next to the oil fill cap. If the vacuum hose is knocked off of the valve, or if the valve does not work properly or open all the way you may lose heat in your cab. My vacuum line gets knocked off of that valve all the time, especially when a shop is working under the hood. If there were a vacuum leak on your mix door or anywhere inside the cab, I think you would be able to hear a hissing inside the cab, especially if you stick your head down on the floor on the passenger side, with the key turned on, but engine not running. I have had the mix door in my truck "slam back and forth" . It would happen in conjunction with the vent changing to defrost and with the truck in 4x4. this was because my hubs were leaking vacuum and I would lose almost all vacuum pressure while they tried to engage.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Hey Kristolson, Well Done!! This explanation is the easiest and most complete explanation I've heard yet on the vacumn issue. Thanks.

shelby69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up, we did verify the vacuum operation of the door down below by the passengers feet which opens and closes based on when the AC is on. We also verified that the vacuum at the coolant shut off valve operates propoerly when you turn the AC on.

He was able to get the air bubble out of the system by having the radiator tank fill cap cracked while driving for a short period, system is now full of coolant. My only concern is that by running it for several weeks low, is the possibility of warping the head / head gasket issue. The oil is not milky but the engine could be eating it as well. I do know that it will build up pressure pretty quickly upon start up, then again it could leak when it gets hot as well.

Besides watching the tail pipe or trying to smell it, if anyone has a suggestion on how to detemire if his engine is eating coolant, please let me know. I have made him aware of the possibility and he will definitely monitor the level of coolant over the next couple of weeks to konw if it goes down.

If his engine eats coolant, is this covered under teh powertrain warranty? His truck is an 05 with 54K miles.

Thanks again for all your help.

It must not have been that low since if you rev'd it to 2500, then coolant would go thru the heater core.

His wife is pretty happy to have heat!

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
krist:
great write-up.... i understand everything you said but would also like to add again that ford says the 'slamming' of the door is normal/proper procedure.. i have no problems w/ heat, door slams intermittantly, and my ESOF works fine....however i have had shifting issues before and had driver side hubs replaced twice.... just my experiences and stating i can relate.

shelby:
go back and read my post 'coolant trouble'....and look at my sig pic...
they have a tool 'combustion leak' detector you can buy OR go and have a shop do for a small price ~$70.....that is one way to see if you have head gasket issues.
keep us informed

Last edited:

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah you might be onto something with the head gasket idea. If it is I would think you will get a little more evidence from the truck when it gets warmer out. good thing it is under warranty still:) wish I could say that!

shelby69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
inside heat - maybe eating coolant

Thanks for the info, I have not stuck my head by the exhaust, next time i see him / the truck I will do so.

The first step we will do is monitor the coolant level on a daily bassis over the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the leak detector information, that may be required if we see some loss of coolant.

So far the truck has heat, probably was the low coolant all the time.

It was the first thing I said for him to check and he did top it off but it must have been pretty low the first time since it still did not solve the issue. Looks like the second go around with adding coolant and driving around with the cap not tightened was able to fully purge the system.

The back of my mind says that something is causing the coolant to go low, maybe this is why the truck was on a used car lot

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, not the exhaust, the coolant... get a big old sniff of that tank-o-green stuff. if it smells like diesel or like burning... that would indicate a compression chamber to water jacket leak, forcing air pockets to form in the system and coolant to be forced out. sounds like what might be happening, right? all you are missing is engine temp spikes... but maybe this summer when it is warmer?
just remember, 100k diesel engine warranty on newer powerstrokes....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg