poped a 6.0

nakahama001

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i took my truck to ford today 10/2 at 7:00 am buy 4:29 pm the service writer called and said i have 2 melted pistons they said ford is gonna rebuild or replace. if they replace will it still be a 10 head bolt motor? or do any of u guys have a hunch on what would have caused it other than a dry coolant res. at the end of the week it ran like a champ .:dunno

KingRancher

2004 F-250 King Ranch FX4
Reaction score
nakahama001 said:
i took my truck to ford today 10/2 at 7:00 am buy 4:29 pm the service writer called and said i have 2 melted pistons they said ford is gonna rebuild or replace. if they replace will it still be a 10 head bolt motor? or do any of u guys have a hunch on what would have caused it other than a dry coolant res. at the end of the week it ran like a champ .:dunno

Holy mary mother of...... 2 melted pistons?????? WOW did ya run with no coolant? I know Im asking the standard Q, but do ya got gauges? thats alot of heat there bro were you towing at the time? More info bro please

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
bushpilot said:
no doubt the motor was over heated....
Don't be so sure. Bad injectors will destroy pistons in a hurry. I would say that is more likely than the other unless we aren't getting the whole story.
Yes, the new motor will be the same as your old one.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
royfordguy said:
Don't be so sure. Bad injectors will destroy pistons in a hurry. I would say that is more likely than the other unless we aren't getting the whole story.
Yes, the new motor will be the same as your old one.

I agree on the whole story....the headgasket replacment was
my indication that the truck had been overheated (perhaps enough
to even WARP the heads...he mentioned in previous posts that
hes been filling the coolant tank weekly).

i THOUGHT he'd also talked about being towed into a camp ground
too...but maybe that was someone else.

this could be a 1st, but the only time ive heard about melted
pistons before, is from overfueling <tuners>

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be underfueling... lean = mean... hence the bad injectors. I think we need more information other than our own speculation!

nakahama001

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i got the truck on 9/11/06 bought with 12,450 ish miles drove it for 1k miles no problems. every morning i make it a habbit to check the oil in every thing i drive better safe then sorry i look at it and i noticed that my res was lower every morning when id check it. my temp gauge never went above the half way mark never ran shitty or anything like that it blacked smoked quite a bit for that low mileage so i took to ford for them to check it out just to be safe and thats the news i got. i have no gauges or mods other than the lift kit

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kleetus said:
It could be underfueling... lean = mean... hence the bad injectors. I think we need more information other than our own speculation!

im TOLD (by those smarter than i..here)...that in a diesel motor
its opposite what a gas motor is...in a gas motor LEAN (absence of fuel)
generates heat (that i know)...in a gas motor fuel actually COOLS
the cylinder.

in a DIESEL over fuel (or what we could consider RICH in a gasser)
actually GENERATES heat...and thats the principle that most of these
flip chips or programers work on...they increase pressures 'cross the
board...more fuel (pressure) and more max boost..all these things
add to the internal pressures (and heat) in a diesel motor...

nakahama001 said:
i got the truck on 9/11/06 bought with 12,450 ish miles drove it for 1k miles no problems. every morning i make it a habbit to check the oil in every thing i drive better safe then sorry i look at it and i noticed that my res was lower every morning when id check it. my temp gauge never went above the half way mark never ran shitty or anything like that it blacked smoked quite a bit for that low mileage so i took to ford for them to check it out just to be safe and thats the news i got. i have no gauges or mods other than the lift kit

i smell a rat...someone trades a truck thats still under factory
warrenty and 1000mi later its TOAST ???

you cant really trust the factory guages...theyre really nothing more
than idiot lights w/ needles instead of a bulb...theyre resistive type
and are not really effective.

read this as an explaination/example <LINK HERE>

no matter i guess, if the dealer is replacing the motor...i guess youll
be fine...personally id be climbing all over that truck looking for signs
there was a tuner or flip chip.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Lean in a diesel means less power. It does not indicate a hot mixture. There is almost no lean/rich mixture, as in a gas motor. It is less power and more power and as much power as your gonna get (Black Smoke).

Dave

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
Lean in a diesel means less power. It does not indicate a hot mixture. There is almost no lean/rich mixture, as in a gas motor. It is less power and more power and as much power as your gonna get (Black Smoke).

Dave

yes, thats what i was TRYIN ;) to say...BUT...w/ a diesel
more fuel means MORE HEAT (which is 180* different from a gas motor)

in a gas motor LESS fuel means MORE HEAT

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58