poped a 6.0

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Kleetus said:
Where I'm having trouble is in the excess fuel category.
I'm sorry if I offended you earlier, but your statement that "lean is mean" in a diesel earlier had me assuming that you did not know much about them. My apologies....:sorry

It's simple. Once you get more fuel than you have air to burn, you typically start making less and less heat for every incremental additional amount of fuel, until you hit a plateau and you can add all the fuel you want and it will make no more heat than it is already making.

Also, at that point where you have an excess of fuel, is when you start to see black smoke. Black smoke is incompletely burned fuel.
True each stroke of a diesel is the moves the same amount of air at any speed and throttle position, independant of fuel delivered. The only thing I can't see is that at some point, you will have so much exess fuel it can't burn it all, or it can't burn period. There's got to be a practical limit to the amount of fuel that can be shot in.
There is. That limit is pretty much when you see black smoke. You can raise that limit by adding more air (IE, more turbocharger).

Now to go along with you guys, (and I accept the information) this is probably where the alcohol/water injection systems come into play. If with large amounts of fuel being shot in, raises the combustion temperature to an unsafe range, the water added will absorb a ton of heat and create steam, which further helps shove the piston in the right direction. I would expect to see this at the unpractical limits of fuel admission.
But this still does not adress the fact that an overfueled engine wastes fuel instead of burning it. You still have to get more air into it.

Water injection only removes heat.

As an interesting aside, since we are on the lean rich discussion...

water meth is used mainly today in two main arenas. Diesel power, and pike's peak-type racers.

Diesels, because it cools off a RICH diesel making lots of heat and gives it even more power.

Pike's peak racers, because they run so LEAN at the base of the hill to compensate for the elevation at the top, that they need the H20 and meth to keep from melting down...

Which brings me to the next interesting tidbit... water meth came into major use for the first time in WWII to help keep piston-engined airplanes from melting down at low altitudes (takeoff) when the engine was jetted for 30,000 feet.

So, it is interesting that it is used to cool off RICH diesels and LEAN gassers.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think you have the airplane part backwards. They run RICH at low altitudes such as takeoff and lean out with altitude, but that is partially compensated by the turbocharger.

Dave

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Airplane stuff...

General Aviation aircraft that are normally aspirated, use a mixture control so that there are no over lean or over rich condition on take-off and at altitude. As you climb to altitude, you lean the mixture (fuel) to maintain proper air/fuel ratio. Departing a high altitude airport such as Mammoth Lakes airport elevation 7128 ft, msl. you adjust the mixture at runup.

Maxtor... Commercial/multi-engine/instrument/flight instructor.

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
I think you have the airplane part backwards. They run RICH at low altitudes such as takeoff and lean out with altitude, but that is partially compensated by the turbocharger.

Dave
actually if an airplane was only jetted for running at 32000ft or so, then it would actually run LEAN at low altitude, being as it's receiving only enough fuel for the air present at high altitude.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You are obvously not a pilot. Airplanes have mixture controls that the pilot must set as he gets higher. As Maxtor pionted out.

Dave - Just a private SEL pilot.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its also why airplanes have EGT guages (some also have cylinder head temp
guages too)...so they KNOW if theyre running the engine TOO lean (hot).

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water injection came along for the dives and dog fights when they were pretty much wide open running for their lives or beating the snot out of the other plane. At that point they needed every ounce of power they could muster out of the piston engines. I've heard varying opinions on this, but the methanol in the water was more for antifreeze than actual combustion. It would be kinda pointless to have the system ice over on you when you're really needing it the most. If they wanted to burn more fuel, why would't they have just added more av-gas and not worry about the other tank. The water controled the detonation.

Jimmy T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nakahama001 said:
i got the truck on 9/11/06 bought with 12,450 ish miles drove it for 1k miles no problems. every morning i make it a habbit to check the oil in every thing i drive better safe then sorry i look at it and i noticed that my res was lower every morning when id check it. my temp gauge never went above the half way mark never ran shitty or anything like that it blacked smoked quite a bit for that low mileage so i took to ford for them to check it out just to be safe and thats the news i got. i have no gauges or mods other than the lift kit

What is a the "normal amount of black smoke you should see"? Mine seems to be a lot and now I am worried after reading the above post.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine doesnt smokes at all certainly its never BLACK/soot...but
then im not running any kinda chip or tuner...

STOCK you shouldnt see ANY black soot...at best i only ever see
a "haze" & thats only when i really romp on it (and i typically
can only see THAT in the headlights behind me at night).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58