popping noise

runnindiesel

yeppers....
Reaction score
hey guys i have a 03 F250 and i cant figure out what the popping noise is. Its on the drivers side and sounds like its right under your foot or behind the front tire. any help on what to look for what be greatly appreciated.

milton

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
runnin,

My 03 Ex does the same thing. I bet it is the track bar bushings. The ball joints were replaced when I bought it because I heard it on the test drive. It still does it, sound like it is right down front..... If you replace the bushings it should go away. If you do a search on front end clunk, or front end noise you will see several threads on this. If I remember correctly, one member replaced almost everything in the front end, except those bushings trying to chase down the noise.... He posted on here what it was doing, and the repairs he had made, someone told him to replace those bushing and the noise was gone......

runnindiesel

yeppers....
Reaction score
awesome sounds good ill look there ive already done the ball joints to and obviously that didnt get it.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
that person COULD HAVE been ME.....

and yes, it prolly is the bushings....as i have to again replace mine....

however: can you explain WHEN you hear the noise....while driving over bumps, turning, backing up then turning,!!!!!!
it could be your vaccum shutting the flapper door under the dash - having to do w/ your venting - meaning you have a vaccum issue

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Don't forget the shocks as well, those bushings like to shrink over time and cause a slightly lose situation, you can't move it very easily by hand, but over bumps in the road it makes noise. Just give them a little squeeze with an impact gun and see if that helps. Good luck!

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys i have a 03 F250 and i cant figure out what the popping noise is. Its on the drivers side and sounds like its right under your foot or behind the front tire. any help on what to look for what be greatly appreciated.

milton

RD i just replaced the sway bar end links on mine for the same reason. You could get under the truck and the rubber bushings would peel out with your fingers. I chose the route of buying new End Link assemblies that were greasable. It took me about 45 minutes or so to unbolt the old ones and bolt the new ones in place. I did not replave the sway bar bushings.

cost me about $130 but it took care of the problem. Unless you have a press or torch to get the old bushings out of the links you may be better off to but the new links like I did and just change them out.

:dunno

runnindiesel

yeppers....
Reaction score
yeah roger like dave said as long as you have the press its not bad at all, ok the noise is only going over bumps thats the only time it does it. thanks again guys

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14