Question Posi rear end

sss521

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how to tell if a rear end has a posi in it? Is there a certain nuber of letter on the housing? Just wondering what to look for.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Look on the drivers door post. There is an id tag and it will have the axle type posted on it. Give us the letter for the axle and we will tell you if it is a posi or not.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Ford puts in a LIMITED SLIP (their words) and not a POSI. GM uses the term POSI, I think. He does have a LIMITED SLIP, according to FORD's DVD. What is the difference between POSI and LIMITED SLIP? Nothing that I can see, they are both clutched rear ends.

Dave :dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford puts in a LIMITED SLIP (their words) and not a POSI. GM uses the term POSI, I think. He does have a LIMITED SLIP, according to FORD's DVD. What is the difference between POSI and LIMITED SLIP? Nothing that I can see, they are both clutched rear ends.

Dave :dunno

;tu On what Dave sez.

Just Trade Name stuff. Limited Slip-age or Posi-tive traction, when you need it ?

Last edited:

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Just to add a bit of information...the axle code on the Drivers door post will be one of two types. Type one is two numbers which indicates an open rear end. Type two is a letter followed by a number which indicates a limited slip rear. This is universal across all ford trucks from all years.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many people confuse a "limited slip" or a "Posi" with a locker. A locker keeps both wheel engaged at all times no matter what is happening.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58