Question Posi rear end

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I have heard of some owners installing a true trac diff. in the rear.

Did they not have a limited slip? and just installed one that was?

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will preface this by saying I am no expert but I believe a TruTrac is designed to work as a locker but is "speed sensitive" it operates as an open diff until traction is lost then it locks both axles. it also senses the speed around corners and prevents hopping that comes with a true locker.
they are a great rear-end.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Very good Kevin, true-tracs are better than limited slips, but not annoying like lockers! Axle of choice for years before the lockers made it big. :D

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True lockers are still the rear-end of choice if you are running a dedicated off road vehicle or rock crawler, four wheels turning at all times.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
This is also true, nothing provides traction as good as a locker except a spool, but most people, me included, wouldn't want the on road characteristics of either while towing down the freeway! The jeep that gets towed behind the truck, well that's another story! ;tu

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Zookie, I've done quite a bit of 4 wheelin, in jeeps,scouts,and been around several broncos. We all ended up with lockers in our machines for the extra traction, but I will tell you from my experience, there are times when you need to be able to unlock and lock at will. Prfeferably, from inside the cab. Now sure you can get out and unlock one hub if you need to, but its much easier(and cleaner sometimes) to do it in the cab. Spools are great for straight line drag racing, but there hell in the front diff when your trying to turn a corner in 4 wheel! Thats why a selectable locker(air actuated or electric) now gets my vote, especially in the front end.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58