possibly buying a 07 6.0, warranty questions

4drdually

Wrench Head
Reaction score
So I might get rid of my 2 trucks and consolidate. I have a 95 and a 01 7.3, both bought used with no warranty. If I buy a new truck, I'm ordering it before christmas, so it will be an 07 6.0. Question is..... What voids the 100k mile warranty on the engine and any other warranties that come with the truck? I've modded things here and there on my 2 trucks now, but never had to worry. All I would be doing is intake, exhaust, gauges, and a chip (probably a six gun). I lost my cat on my 95 and my 01 never had one. The 6.0s do though. Can they fall off too or does ford bitch? Need some help deciding because I'd like a warranty, but i like doing stuff to my truck still and don't want to be stuck. Thanks. Dan

Fine69

Reaction score
Pennsylvania emissions not only require a cat, but, if ANY diesel truck, pickup, car, you name it, comes in for state inspection without a muffler, it fails on the spot. Also, if you want to order an 07, you better do it now, Christmas is WAY too late!

4drdually

Wrench Head
Reaction score
what state are you living in? Guess they are Nazi's out by you. PA Vehicle Code and the DEP do not require a muffler or catalytic convertor in PA at all on any diesel powered vehicle. Doesn't need to be there. Simply against the law to remove the cat UNLESS it's bad. The only thing PA asks for is that you stay under the db level for big trucks. I've run straight pipe, no cat for a long time and have no problem at inspection time. Pay 22 bucks for my inspection sticker and thats it. My question only pertains to warranty issues. And I said I want to order before Christmas. My friend owns the dealership, so time isn't really an issue.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know for us in PA, it's actualy written up as a "noise muffling device" so, really, that's at the descretion of who ever inspects your vehicles... but... in another year or so we're gonna have state wide emmissions testing. Yes, it blows, thank the bunny huggers. So, for my application, I would leave the cat on for testing, remove the muffler, and once you get your sticker, take the cat back off.. and everybody's happy... Thankfully they made the cat connection easy.

Fine69

Reaction score
4drdually said:
what state are you living in? Guess they are Nazi's out by you. PA Vehicle Code and the DEP do not require a muffler or catalytic convertor in PA at all on any diesel powered vehicle. Doesn't need to be there. Simply against the law to remove the cat UNLESS it's bad. The only thing PA asks for is that you stay under the db level for big trucks. I've run straight pipe, no cat for a long time and have no problem at inspection time. Pay 22 bucks for my inspection sticker and thats it. My question only pertains to warranty issues. And I said I want to order before Christmas. My friend owns the dealership, so time isn't really an issue.

Removing the cat is a Federal offense. Doesn't matter what state you live in. I'm no tree hugger, but I do know the laws in the state I live in. You may have luck with some "Lick 'em and stick 'em" inspection station, but as of this year ALL diesel's require mufflers.Also as far as your friend owning the dealer, thats fine, but when Ford ends production of the 07's, your buddy isn't going to be any help. You better get him to order you one sooner than later. My good friend owns the Ford Truck dealership in town, and he says Ford is already cutting back on options for 07. Won't be long before they end production altogether.

Last edited:

4drdually

Wrench Head
Reaction score
Hey Fine69, you got a problem with me? I'm trying to find out about warranty issues and you want to start an argument. All I wanted was an answer from people about how ford's warranty program worked. Not whether it was legal or not to do so and I don't need to be told when I should order my truck. All I'm looking for is the answers to my original questions. I apologize for calling the inspections guys out by you Nazi's. So far we have had only 1 response actually about my question. This place is starting to be like thediselstop and that's why I joined here, to avoid the arguments. So again, doesn anyone have any experience with warranty issues and exhaust, chips, tuners, etc.? Want to go get this deal started soon.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi 4 drdually;

I had a long talk with the warrentee guru at Banks Engineering today, and he basically said that Ford had to prove that a power adder caused a problem. He also said that if Ford proved that the problem was caused by a banks system, that Banks would stand behind their product. I personally do not want to go through all the hassle of fighting with Ford over any warrentee issue, so I am not going to add a power adder at this time, I am at 3400 miles. I think that some vehicles are lemons from the factory, so I am going to wait and see how my truck is after about 50,000 miles. If I don't have any problems at that time, I will probably purchase a Edge or Banks system. With so many egr issues, I want to wait and see how my truck works for the first 50,000 miles.
I do believe that we have a great bunch of guys here, on this website, and I have learned quite a bit from most everyone.
Banks guru said that having a cat is a state issue. I personally do not know, but that is what he said.

Last edited:

4drdually

Wrench Head
Reaction score
That's why I was leaning toward a banks if anything. With a warranty and such, i don't want to risk voiding it. As for fixing the truck, that's a separate issue. But the reason for buying the new truck is to have a warranty so I don't have to fix anything. Too busy anymore. From others, I've heard that the exhaust backpressure sensor screws up on the 05 and up 6.0's and causes lots of trouble. Sounds like the old 7.3 problems

Fine69

Reaction score
4DrDually, no problem with you whatsoever, just tryin' to help you out. I know it would suck to not be able to get the truck you wanted. I'm also not trying to argue, I just had the whole muffler argument thing with the local guy that inspected my truck, (He made me put my muffler back on, so thats when I put on the MBRP duals). Thats why I was so adamant about the laws he quoted to me. So, once again, no problem, good luck on the new truck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58