Potential Engine repair/replacement avoided!!

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
One note on B20 for Northern climates:

B20 can start to "gel" at a higher temp - approx 25 degrees - so use a quality fuel additive to prevent gelling.

Where did you get that info?

I have read the "Cold Flow and Blending" article from the National Biodiesel Board and have never seen that number. B50 is known to work fine in fairly cold temps everywhere with the proper fuel system. B20 can go into sub-freezing temps with no problem as long as it has an anti-gel which most bio producers in cold climates use.

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
Where did you get that info?

B20 can go into sub-freezing temps with no problem as long as it has and anti-gel which most bio producers in cold climates use.

Hey Antonio - that's what I was trying to say (as long as it has a anti-gel additive).
But I probably should have said cloud point instead of gel

Rich

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't B20 corrode injector o-rings, filters, etc? Or am I misinformed that to use this stuff for the long haul one would have to change out plastic materials more frequently. Anyone have a cost comparison from B20 to ULSD?
Jesse

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
Here are two links to info on biodiesel and compatability issues:

Biological & Agricultural Engine

Biological & Agricultural Engine

I would ask roosterdiesel (send him a PM) he had used 100% biodiesel for a while and knows alot about this. The documentation I have read seems to indicate B20 and lower mixtures have not had these issues.

I get B20 ULSD here in OK for $2.70 (this week) at Phillips 66.

Springbubba

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
After giving the B20 a chance to get into the engine, did you notice the difference in how the engine sounded?:thumbs

She purrs like a kitten. I really do notice a difference, especially when its warm. I have never been in love with a vehicle, but with my SDD, I am smitten. I think my my wife is getting jealous. :doh:

Thanks again for all of the info! :thanks

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Doesn't B20 corrode injector o-rings, filters, etc? Or am I misinformed that to use this stuff for the long haul one would have to change out plastic materials more frequently. Anyone have a cost comparison from B20 to ULSD?
Jesse

B20 will cause no problems with anything. Higher percentage blends are a different story. As long as you haven't installed any rubber hose anywhere in the system(pre-pump Hutch mod) you should be ok in a warm climate. Over B50 needs a heated prepump filter, the stock filter isn't up to snuff. It's best to have teflon or viton hose. Also make sure you have viton o-rings on the drain valve. Nitrile hose will last with high concentrations of bio as long as it's not on the pressure side of the pump. I personally have changed to teflon hoses. Now that I have a B99 source again I'll be burnin' the good stuff again!:thumbs

We have actually had some pumps come in at the fuel shop I work at that need seals replaced because of how "dry" the ULSD is.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have the prepump mods done, so what now? Where do I find this teflon hose to replace my rubber hose with?
Jesse

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since this past September the mileage on our 7.3L Excursion has gradually dropped dropped and dropped to about 12 MPG which we have never seen before since we took delivery of our Excursion brand new.We're accustomed to filling once a month to where we're down to every 2-3 weeks but we knew something was definitely going on and we had to resolve this before it went any further.-popcorn

Since around October the injector noise and an unusual sound in cylinder detonation has been on the increase so I did the standard procedures of adjusting fuel pressure,modifying additive amounts/cocktails added to fuel,changing the 6637 filter,adjusting programming,changed the oil early(5,000 miles),checking Ambient and Charge air sensors that they're intact and clean,no boost leaks,kept the fuel level in the tank full,changing fuel suppliers,so on and so forth,yadda yadda yadda.:rolleyes:

I had come to my wits end along with my poor wife worn of me constantly analyzing this and that with the truck I was getting close to cutting the Excursion loose but last week after discussing at length with Dennis at ITP about the increased injector and detonation noise I decided to eliminate the new high tech 15PPM ULSD fuel altogether and fill the truck with B20 BioDiesel.

Sunday morning I cruised to one of the DFW B20 stations(21 miles away) and topped off the tank with 22 gallons since I had more than a half tank to start with but this had to be done.

On the ride back to Richardson I wasn't 2-3 miles down the road on Irving Blvd as I clearly noticed the injector noise reducing,engine vibration reducing,turbo whistle increasing,shift points lowering and everything pretty much associated with an engine running higher quality fuel.:tu::woot

The results in my case is the new ULSD 15PPM Diesel Fuel is to blame for the ULSD has virtually no lubricating properties for the 7.3L Diesel Engine to properly run and perform as designed back in the 1990's.

I will continue to use only B20 Diesel Fuel and when available On Highway LSD 500PPM Diesel Fuel.:deal

Off my soapbox thanks for listening :thanks

CHP

Ive noticed the same thing with Dads '00 f250. It finally warmed up so we blended in 50% homebrew biod and the truck has never ran this smooth or quiet. Just one more reason to make your own diesel:thumbs

444ornothing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chp,
That was a great proccess of elimination on your part. I currently run a 99.5 powerstroke in the bay area and to be honest i haven't noticed what type I have been pumping but now that you mentioned it I will observe it at the next fill up. Since the new ulsf went into effect i have noticed a change in power and fuel consumption. I wish i knew where I could get the b20 fuel up here.Tx atty I concur with you as to the affect this ulsf is creating and the claims that will stock pile. This globbal warming thing is getting tomany politics involved and that is wy there was a push for it.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Now to 500PPM

Thanks 444:) I been running B20 straight since February and one thing I've noted is the engine is starting to crank abit slower and takes abit more to fire so out of a hunch and in the constant pursuit of testing fuels I filled with 41 gallons 500PPM combined with 16 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil this past Sunday.

I observed the Engine cranks and starts twice as fast even sounds abit better after the 30 mile trip home.

Since my wife is the one the evaluates changes I make to the truck in fuel,oil,suspension,etc she claims the truck accelerates much much better and is even abit quieter as the turbo whistle is more pronounced:)

I also filled 40 gallons in 5 gallon totes while at the 500PPM pump,never difficult striking up a conversation with fellow truckers inquiring about why I'm filling the 5 gallon totes:D

Stay tuned:sweet

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg