Help Needed Power Mirror Switch

JRJ04

Reaction score
Hey guys my power mirror switch had been acting up a while back not letting me move the mirrors in 1 direction so i took it out and cleaned up the contacts and all was well for about 2 months. tonight, i tried moving my mirrors down and when i did, it moved both of them at the same time? now the thing will only move the right one down, and if i try anything else it blows the fuse. do i have an electrical problem that could cause the fuse to be blowing or is the switch just bad?

JRJ04

Reaction score
well i replaced it and it still blows the fuse like it did before. Any ideas why it would keep blowing a fuse? Pinched wire?

JRJ04

Reaction score
ok ive torn the thing apart and concluded that it is the wiring FROM the truck TO the driver side mirror. Only moving downwards will work...any other direction it pops the fuse. anyone got a wiring diagram so i can see which wire it is? This is extremely frustrating!!!:rant

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'm on vacation this week, so I don't have access to anything...

let me do a quick search..

in the meantime, unplug both mirrors at the mirror head...
-edit-
try the switch with both mirrors unplugged

then plug them in one at a time and try to move them..

isolate the fault to one side if you can
if you have it isolated to one side (drivers), popping the door panel and doing a quick visual should reveal the problem..

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
I'm on vacation this week, so I don't have access to anything...

let me do a quick search..

in the meantime, unplug both mirrors at the mirror head...
-edit-
try the switch with both mirrors unplugged

then plug them in one at a time and try to move them..

isolate the fault to one side if you can
if you have it isolated to one side (drivers), popping the door panel and doing a quick visual should reveal the problem..

One step ahead of ya buddy :sweet i have isolated it to be the drivers side by the exact process you described. i can make it go down, but the second I try to make it go up, right, or left, thats when it pops the fuse. It only pops the fuse when the drivers side mirror is plugged in, if I have it unplugged I can toggle the switch in any direction with the drivers side selected and have no problem. could that be just because the circuit is not closed?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
One step ahead of ya buddy :sweet i have isolated it to be the drivers side by the exact process you described. i can make it go down, but the second I try to make it go up, right, or left, thats when it pops the fuse. It only pops the fuse when the drivers side mirror is plugged in, if I have it unplugged I can toggle the switch in any direction with the drivers side selected and have no problem. could that be just because the circuit is not closed?

exactly.
you don't have a ground path.

I think I'd be running up & down the wiring looking for a melty spot in the insulation.. or maybe a chafe...
If I could get you a wiring diagram, and you had a hunk of fusible link and a test light, I'd have you shoot power & ground down each wire individually..

visual inspection is gonna have to do for now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14