Power on 8% grade

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
How does your semi-stock truck pull on a hard grade? I ask as I think mine might be getting sick but I am not sure. Went camping for a few days up the Steese. There are a few grades up there that range from 7%-8%. Grossing around 16,000 I had to go to 3rd gear(manual)to keep the egt's under 1200º. In third I can cruise along at 50mph turning close to 3000. I seem to remember a few years ago that I could pull hills like these in fourth. I was running 22-23psi of boost and since it would build heat I guess it is doing all it can? It just doesn't feel like it used to..

On the flip side we went back up the Steese a little ways yesterday afternoon for another wheeler ride. On this trip I took the 05' F150 with the cargo trailer in tow as I didn't feel like unloading the camper and didn't need it for a day trip. This reduced overall weight down to probably around 10,000. The F150 towed the trailer up the grade as fast as I wanted to go but here is the kicker. The dash mpg was reading 14.9 when I left home and had not been reset in months. When we arrived at the staging area about 60 miles from home it was reading 11.0. Once we got done with our ride I reset the meter for the drive home. When I topped Pedro Dome about halfway home it was reading 5.4mpg which is about right for a 5.4 gas engine ;) It did get up to 9.3 by the time we arrived at home but the PSD still got better mileage even with 4000lbs more.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Well, if I didnt know you I would tell you to do all the regular filters and fluids Kev, but you had good boost and no smoke so Imma thinkin you need a 6.0.

dpantazis

Reaction score
so Imma thinkin you need a 6.0.

Don't listen to him Crumm! He's just trying to bring you over to the dark side like he crossed over.

Had you done those grades before, and with that load? That would be the mist important thing to compare to.

I am confused, is it the EGT's that concern you, having to use 3rd, or the mpg?

I would not worry too much about it. Get some miles under Crummy and see what she is doing.

dp

dp

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The only other thing that comes to mind crumm is are you sure of your weight? Possibly heavier than you thought? I think you need a set of Stg I's to make you forget all about lil ole 8% grades. ;)

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't have quite those grades down here but when I was stock (or injectored w/o chip) I pulled a 6% grossing around 18k with a high frontal area on the trailer at 65MPH EGT's were in 1250-1300 range and boost was in the low 20's. I did have to drop down to 3rd (drive) by locking out OD.

If I slowed down EGT's went up very quickly.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Had you done those grades before, and with that load? That would be the mist important thing to compare to.

I am confused, is it the EGT's that concern you, having to use 3rd, or the mpg?
No I had not done those grades before just some with the same 8% sign on them. Had to use third due to egt climbing and running out of power.

The only other thing that comes to mind crumm is are you sure of your weight? Possibly heavier than you thought?
Truck 7500, Camper 4000, Trailer 3000, 4-wheelers 1100, misc gear 400 = 16,000#. Guess you could add me and three kids and get it up another 600#.

Don't have quite those grades down here but when I was stock (or injectored w/o chip) I pulled a 6% grossing around 18k with a high frontal area on the trailer at 65MPH.
I can smoke over 6% grades without even shifting down.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Filters need changing.............???

Tbar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58