Help Needed Power steering feels like Manual steering

Donny

new guy
Reaction score
Has anyone had this problem. I have an 01 f-250 w/7.3l. 4x4 everyonce in a while the steering gets real hard and it is like trying to twist an oak tree. Pwr steer fluid is good, belts tight and I have no other ideas.

Donny

new guy
Reaction score
Is there anything other then puttingin a replacement pump? If a new pump is needed is there an after market you know of that supercedes the stock pump?

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I know of. I had the same issue when I bought the truck and I made the dealer replace the pump. If I had to pay for it, I would go with AGR's super pump and AGR's new steering gear box that's modified to handle the higher pressures that the AGR pump puts out. It is cheaper than a dealer replaced stocker. At 4 wheel parts, including the labor it came out about $100 less for the better hardware and you got a new gear box. If you aren't running a lift and big tires, then a stock replacement should be fine, too. Either way, I would go back with synthetic fluid in the new one.

Last edited:

woodduck31

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my 01. It only started after a few donuts after I installed my DP tuner. Now pump is dying on me. Thanks for this post, I've have looked along time for some information. Anyone else with this Problem??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58