New Member Power Tow Mirror Conversion 2008-2012 power tow mirrors onto my 2004 F350 Lariat

rickabc

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I am very new to diesel world and Ford trucks. I purchased a 2004 F350 Super Duty Lariat crew cab long box. It presently has power adj, signals and heated manual extend/fold tow mirrors. Also has heated seats. I have purchased two new 2008 - 2012 Power tow mirrors that have power extend and power fold, as well as the signal and heat functions. I also bought the 2008 power mirror fold switch (P/N: 7L1Z-17B676-AA), the wiring plug (P/N:3U2Z-14S411-DLA (or also known as WPT-219 ?), the a power fold module (P/N:8C3Z-14N089-A), a DPDT momentary switch (for power extend function), an add a circuit fuse tap, a 5 pin relay socket, and a 2006 Super Duty window switch bezel to replace the bezel now in my 2004.

I was trying to convert the new 2008-2012 power tow mirrors that power extend and power fold onto my 2004 F350. Now at a stand still. Just cannot figure out how to wire them in. The connectors are different and I actually located on another forum, directions on how to convert 2008 mirrors to a 2005 F250, but it did not help at all, except to direct me on what other parts I needed purchase to complete this conversion . All the wires are different colors than the original wires and the 8 wires attached to the wiring plug (P/N:3U2Z-14S411-DLA) (or also known as WPT-219 ?) that goes to the 2008 power mirror fold switch (P/N: 7L1Z-17B676-AA) - are all GREEN? while the 7 wires attached to the original inside drivers door power mirror connector (where I thought I'd be tapping into) are all different colors.

I am not a mechanic. I am not a tech either - my bad :) I thought I could do this but I think I am in over my head. I contacted numerous audio shops and body repair shops in my area and none will touch this.

Bottom line - if anyone can send me a link with instruction, explicit as possible - it would be greatly appreciated. I may end up keeping the manual mirrors if I cannot figure this out, and then just sell the new mirrors and parts I just purchased. I am ok either way but I'd prefer the conversion if possible.

If anyone is near my area Utica, NY to Syracuse NY or Albany, NY and knows how to complete this conversion, please let me know. I can make the trip to get this done.

thank you in advance

rick

Last edited:

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome and Howdy from Texas!!!!! Looks like an interesting project. Hope someone close to you can help. To be honest, I'd probably go to a dealer, but I'm sure they'll charge a bunch. I had a 2002 F250 SWB Crew Cab that I traded five years ago on an Explorer, miss that truck every day.

rickabc

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome . . . it is definitely an interesting project but I wish I knew more on how to complete it :-( I did call the local dealer and that was a no go as well - installing 2008 pwr fold and pwr extend tow mirrors onto my 2004 F350 Lariat is not in their repair books. Still hoping for another reply or two from someone who knows what to do wiring wise. If I have to keep the 2004 original tow mirrors - I can live with that, they work fine, just wanted at least the pwr fold option for getting in/out of my garage.

I have time on my side - retired and loving it :)

rick

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way will it work, so just box up the new ones you have and ship them to my address, I will give you a 100 buck for them as you pay for shipping. LOL

There is a way to make the new ones work on your truck. Give me some time and I will see what I can find. I am sure someone here has done it before.

Also welcome to SDD.com and enjoy your retirement.

Doug

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PM sent. I think I have found everything you will need to install your 08's on your 04 or 06
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PM sent. I think I have found everything you will need to install your 08's on your 04 or 06
Doug

Thee above is What We're All About Here @ SDD. ;tu

Welcome Aboard Rick ;tu

Thanks Doug ;tu;tu

Joe

rickabc

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Big Joe. I have completed the wiring and the new power fold switch DOES power fold the mirrors but it will not adjust the mirror angle (like the old switch did). Also, the new power DPDT extend switch does not work (yet, still working for a solution). I still have those 2 black wires with green tracers lines on the passenger side mirror - just don't know what to do with them - they are not listed in the instructions that I tried to follow. Haven't given up yet - just hit a glitch :) There are 11 wires coming from the drivers mirror and 13 wires coming from the passenger mirror (that's those 2 extra black wires w/green tracer lines).

Open for suggestions? LOL

rick

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a SWAG but could you apply power to those wires to see what servo's they power ? I'm thinking they [might be] the vertical/horizontal adjusters..powered from the DPDT switch ?

Joe

rickabc

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Big Joe - that's worth a try. Problem is these two extra wires are only on the passenger side, but then again that's where the wires for the DPDT switch come from as well - hmmm

It may be a few days or so (got appt's galore next few days) but will let you know how it works out.

thanks for the SWAG though :)

rick

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I would probably recommend opening the mirrors up and checking out where the unknown wires go before I applied any power. Wouldn't want to let the smoke out of the mirrors :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58