Question Power Windows Work Intermittently

rowlandb

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Over the last few years my power windows in my 2000 Super Duty have started working intermittently. The problem seems to be with both the main controls on the drivers door and the control on the passenger door. Sometimes both of them have problems operating, sometimes just one. Does not make a lot of sense. Could I have bad switches or do I need to check something else?

Any help here would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Rowland
'99 Ford Super Duty
7.3 Diesel
Dually

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jus' my .03..

By now, being a '99, I'd suspect the switches and/or the servo motors. But because it's intermittent.. It might be worth pulling the door panels and checking the connectors/plug-ins for corrosion first ?

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Joe, does the '99 use the GEM module? I remember hearing that if the GEM module gets wet it will cause problems. Sorry I don't know a lot about the GEM module.

Dave

rowlandb

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I pulled the driver side door switch assembly out, disassembled it, cleaned all the contacts, sprayed them with contact cleaner, reassembled, sprayed the connectors with contact cleaner, put back in place. Same problem exists the passenger window works now(sometimes it doesn't) but the drivers window does not work. I can hear a relay clicking under the dash someplace when I am trying to lower the drivers window. Does that mean the switches are okay? The next step is to pull the door and do some checking on the connectors as you suggested. I will not be able to do that for about two weeks as I'm going to be out of town for a while. I will let you know what I find. Thank you for the help

chismpi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I pulled the driver side door switch assembly out, disassembled it, cleaned all the contacts, sprayed them with contact cleaner, reassembled, sprayed the connectors with contact cleaner, put back in place. Same problem exists the passenger window works now(sometimes it doesn't) but the drivers window does not work. I can hear a relay clicking under the dash someplace when I am trying to lower the drivers window. Does that mean the switches are okay? The next step is to pull the door and do some checking on the connectors as you suggested. I will not be able to do that for about two weeks as I'm going to be out of town for a while. I will let you know what I find. Thank you for the help

Did U get an answer. Same thing happened to my 2001 F-250 ,4X4 Platinum edition. I replaced the GEM MODULE. Very difficult to find one for this year Truck.

It fixed the problem. A water leak from Windshield seal got into the module and caused the problem.

john griffin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What and where is this module? I'm haveing the same issues with the pass side window.I dont hear any clicking,but then I'm pretty deaf too!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What and where is this module? I'm haveing the same issues with the pass side window.I dont hear any clicking,but then I'm pretty deaf too!

It's above the in-cab fuse panel area John. Don't know exactly what G E M means, but it's basically a.. wiring harness junction box, for all things that are combined, after being fused.. from the cab fuse panel.

PIA to get to but, +/- your year are known to have had windshield leak issues on the driverside.. drips on to the GEM.. then over time, corrosion gets to the GEM module, and at times.. the upper/inter part of the fuse panel. PIA 12v things start to happen ?

Joe

Last edited:

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...me too...I have clean ground straps, clean batteries, but the windows will some times not work for a spell after startup. Sometimes, not always, the radio is dead too. Then after a few seconds to few minutes, life returns...all function fine. Don't ever hear any clicky noises.

I guess I'll peak up into the GEM area and take a look.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58