Question pre pump filter and move fuel pump back?

mikes7.3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I need any advise on installing pre pump filter and moving the pump closer to the fuel tank. I bought Baldwin filter set up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mike

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need any advise on installing pre pump filter and moving the pump closer to the fuel tank. I bought Baldwin filter set up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mike

First ? Why would you want to move the fuel pump ?

mikes7.3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was told that by moving the pump closer to the tank, it would cause less air in the fuel lines. Since the pump would be closer to the fuel in the tank, it would create less air in the fuel lines. Maybe not correct, but it makes sense to me. Thanks for the reply

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told that by moving the pump closer to the tank, it would cause less air in the fuel lines. Since the pump would be closer to the fuel in the tank, it would create less air in the fuel lines. Maybe not correct, but it makes sense to me. Thanks for the reply

Don't know where you heard that .... but I've never heard that One.:dunno

Yer fuel pump is fine, right where it's at. IT.. doesn't create any air.. but the inlet fitting, to the pump.. is known to let air in.. by it's design & application. Nuther long story.

If you install yer Pre-pump filter, at or near the fuel pump (?) yul be >eliminating< that suspect fitting.... by removing it, then looping off of the feed (from the tank) line.. then thru the filter.. then INTO the Fuel Pump.. with rubber fuel hose and hose clamps.

Make any sence ??

Joe

mikes7.3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yea, it makes sense. My buddy made me believe that moving the pump would create less air. Thanks for the info. I think I am going to go your route. Have you heard anything about removing the check valve on the pump, not sure if it is on the inlet or outlet side, but I was told that it can be removed so that you eliminate another restriction on the fuel line. Thanks for your help.

Mike

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, it makes sense. My buddy made me believe that moving the pump would create less air. Thanks for the info. I think I am going to go your route. Have you heard anything about removing the check valve on the pump, not sure if it is on the inlet or outlet side, but I was told that it can be removed so that you eliminate another restriction on the fuel line. Thanks for your help.

Mike

;tu

Not to say there aint one.. but iv'e never heard of a check valve on the pump either :dunno

Maybe yer Buddy needs to join us here ? we're alwayz looking for new information..:dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is no reason for a check valve. It is a sealed system and if air gets into the lines, then it is not sealed. Time to reseal it.

Dave

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Wasn't there a theory about diesel have naturally entrained air in it that released under vacuum.........even in the absence of a leaking quick disconnect fitting........or I could be getting old timers.

Maybe this is the reasoning behind moving the pump.

Tbar

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a theory about diesel have naturally entrained air in it that released under vacuum.........even in the absence of a leaking quick disconnect fitting........or I could be getting old timers.

Maybe this is the reasoning behind moving the pump.

Tbar

In my fuel bidness dayz, naturally entrained Water was alwayz an issue with diesel fuel, but Air ? I can't recall it being anything to deal with, in everyday, common use.

Water being H2O, would have Oxygen.. but I would think it would take some purdy extreme conditions.. to be an issue.. strong enough to support moving a Fuel Pump... on just a Mod'd Daily Driver.. ?

just my take on it.

Joe

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I did the pre-pump mod but I have never believed that the fitting leaks. It does not have any innate design problem I can see and knowing diesels ability to seep through anything if it leaked the fitting would get dirty. I think the real problem is the stupid duckbill valve in the tank. Mine was definitely stuck open and letting air in when the fuel was low.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58