Question pre pump filter and move fuel pump back?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
the theory behind it is the same as a submerged well pump in your house.

the less of the system you run under vacuum (lift) the less apt it is to have air introduced.

I'd think the best solution would be a pre-filter and a Hutch mod...

mikes7.3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I appreciate everyones response with this pre filter mod. I am going to do this mod today. I will let u guys know how it all worked out. Seem pretty easy.:)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the pre-pump mod but I have never believed that the fitting leaks. It does not have any innate design problem I can see and knowing diesels ability to seep through anything if it leaked the fitting would get dirty. I think the real problem is the stupid duckbill valve in the tank. Mine was definitely stuck open and letting air in when the fuel was low.

Not ALL of the Fuel Pump inlet fittings ("coupler", would be more appropriate IMO) leak. I don't think it has ever been said that they, in-fact, ALL do. However, By it's design/location , and use with Diesel fuel, it's at the least.. a [suspect] source for air intrusion.. into the fuel supply line.

The real beauty of this Mod is: It's Fer Cheap. 10 bucks worth of fuel hose'n clamps.. and 20 minutes of your time ? How could we go wrong ? :dunno

RON.B54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guys are right. I did the mod a couple of months ago. It made a difference. The engine got a little quiet and a bit smoother when the fuel was low in the tank,and my mileage picked up a little, after the mod was done. The mileage was a bonus. The best thing was the quieter,smoother running engine especially when running below 1/4 tank. It is very easy to do but the hardest part is getting the tank out if doing it by yourself, make sure it is almost empty.
Good Luck;tu

LonestarBronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water being H2O, would have Oxygen.. but I would think it would take some purdy extreme conditions.. to be an issue.. strong enough to support moving a Fuel Pump... on just a Mod'd Daily Driver.. ?

just my take on it.

Joe

If only this were the case, our hydrogen powered car dilemma would be solved by Ford Diesel fuel pumps!

mikes7.3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Rough idle after pre-pump filter install

I did the pre-pump filter. Very easy. Everything went smooth. Started fine and runs normal. But after a few fill ups of diesel, my truck has started running rough when you start it. I have to push accelerator pedal down a few times and it clears up. after that it will not run rough anymore. but when engine gets cold again, it will run rough again at start up. No signs of leaks or anything out of the ordinary. Truck runs like a champ. Any help would be great thanks.

Mike

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the pre-pump filter. Very easy. Everything went smooth. Started fine and runs normal. But after a few fill ups of diesel, my truck has started running rough when you start it. I have to push accelerator pedal down a few times and it clears up. after that it will not run rough anymore. but when engine gets cold again, it will run rough again at start up. No signs of leaks or anything out of the ordinary. Truck runs like a champ. Any help would be great thanks.

Mike

You might wana go back over the install, check yer fittings and how you routed everything.

Sounds like yer loosing yer fuel prime.. Air issues.

Joe

mikes7.3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe. I will do that. I filled up my truck to the top and when I parked in my incline driveway, I had a surprise. Diesel leaked from somewhere, I checked everything out, it was coming from the top. There are one inch nipples on each end of the tank that I forgot to put the hoses back on. I haven't put them back,but I will do that when I check everything again. Sorry for the long explination. Hope it made sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58