Preparing for winter!

dpantazis

Reaction score
mike-

use synthetic oil, good batteries and anti gel if you are really worried. and most of all, use your head and common sense!

i was caught in the boonies in ND once, 5 below, at noon. cycled and cycled and cycled again. crossed my fingers, did my best to channel BIG_JOE turned the key and she fired up. it was not pretty she romped like a mechanical bull but she fired up and warmed up soon enough. moral of the story is MD is not ND, don;t sweat it.

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good batteries, synthetic oil, cycle the gp's twice if its real cold. It should start every time if your gp's are healthy.

I did not plug my truck in once last winter. Started every morning.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was caught in the boonies in ND once, 5 below, at noon. cycled and cycled and cycled again. crossed my fingers, did my best to channel BIG_JOE turned the key and she fired up. it was not pretty she romped like a mechanical bull but she fired up and warmed up soon enough. moral of the story is MD is not ND, don;t sweat it.

;):lmao Bennar, dun nat too dp.. clear, cooold, still morning in Montana.... Grandson thought it was Neat.. Said: Gampa !! yer tuck is make'n Ring Clouds (while it Buck'd & Snort'd) :lmao:lmao

Seems we touch on this every year, 'bout this time. As long as we do the things mentioned so far here.. these things Will Fire Right Up for us.

Not to Worry ;tu

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
What cold crankin amps are you guys runnin? i just had to get new bats and couldn't find anything over 850 cca. I had Diehard golds that were 875cca went to get them again and the same thing now is only 850cca so i settled for Harris 850's

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks fellas! Yeah, I mainly considered the generator idea becuase it's less than a mile to my place of work, so my truck wouldn't have the time to actually warm up like it should. So far, I've been taking 20 mins or so and driving around base to let the temp get into the operating range.

ps. I was told my glow plugs aren't bad, but a little weak. (previous owner's .02)

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Less than a mile? I think that i would walk or ride a bike. I have done it before! Really wakes you up on those cold mornings.

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Less than a mile? I think that i would walk or ride a bike. I have done it before! Really wakes you up on those cold mornings.

hahaha yes. I don't have a problem walking, I've done it pleeently of times. But i never want to leave my truck sitting too long because after long enough, it doesn't start back up. seems like the batteries drain. maybe. i dunno lol. PITA mostly

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
hahaha yes. I don't have a problem walking, I've done it pleeently of times. But i never want to leave my truck sitting too long because after long enough, it doesn't start back up. seems like the batteries drain. maybe. i dunno lol. PITA mostly

then get your little Honda generator and use it as a battery charger

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg