comment Prices of Veg oil and Peanut oils take off

CHPMustang

Reaction score
How many ya'll note the prices of veggie oil taking off in the stores? I was in Sams a week ago and the price of peanut oil more than doubled to near $60 a tote:eek::dizzy

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Edit: I'm not judging those who would use bio-diesel. I have considered it myself since it is available. However, after watching the futures markets, and having seen the result of solutions like Ethanol, I have arrived at the following conclusion. My comments are strictly related to the current US policy, and the trend towards using our crops to produce our fuel.

I would say that using oil crops as a source of energy is a horrible (and probably immoral) solution. Ethanol has proven itself to be an innefficient source for power, and is driving up our futures market pricing. The price of corn (and other crops) is now at record HIGHS so that we can power our vehicles. The markets are starting to affect the poor, and take food out of their mouths.

Like BUSHPILOT said, we need to drill domestically (in Alaska), and stop this dependancy on foreign oil. We also need to build additional refineries. The easy thing to do is blame OPEC and EXXON. The problem is simply a US policy issue!

Consider this: There are 42 gallons in a barrel of crude oil. At $130 per barrel, if we got 42 gallons of gasoline out of that barrel (which is impossible), doing the math breaks gasoline down to $3.10 per gallon! Now consider that they only get 19gals of gasoline out of a barrel of crude (that is a fact), the PPG jumps way up. We haven't even factored the cost for refining, transporting, and marketing yet!

There really isn't much room for profit. The reason that companies like EXXON have shown record profits has more to do with buying crude well in advance (futures) while the price was low, and not re-investing the profits into the company. They are holding the profits in cash because eventually the increased cost will catch up with them. It's like buying that plot of land on the corner because you know that a devloper will pay a premium later.

It's that simple.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like BUSHPILOT said, we need to drill domestically (in Alaska), and stop this dependancy on foreign oil. We also need to build additional refineries. The easy thing to do is blame OPEC and EXXON. The problem is simply a US policy issue!

sorry but i dont agree...the problem more accurately is "simply a VOTER
problem"...all this liberal NIMBY ****...they want their cake and eat it
too...the freekin' MINORITY controls this damm country <and im sick of it>
those days of cheap oil & foreign oil independance are O-V-E-R !

you wanna reduce dependancey on OPEC <foreign oil> then expect
to have to give up something....which might include the pristine view
out your back window <so to speak> !

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
O.K., this might start WWIII, but I'll throw it out there. I don't blame the saudi's for damn near putting out a cigar on Bush's forehead when he went over there. We want them to crank up production so we have cheaper fuel, but we won't [can't] drill and refine on our own soil? Is this not like asking them to get some Nuke plants going on their soil and sending us the power? At what point do we drill, refine on domestic soil, and stop the dependency on OPEC?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I would say that using oil crops as a source of energy is a horrible (and probably immoral) solution. Ethanol has proven itself to be an innefficient source for power, and is driving up our futures market pricing. The price of corn (and other crops) is now at record HIGHS so that we can power our vehicles. The markets are starting to affect the poor, and take food out of their mouths.

It's that simple.

You can't have a problem using used plant oil (WVO) for bioD production can you? Yup ethanol is a farce. It takes more energy to produce than it provides and only benefits the Iowa farmers.

kenholl

Reaction score
You can't have a problem using used plant oil (WVO) for bioD production can you? Yup ethanol is a farce. It takes more energy to produce than it provides and only benefits the Iowa farmers.

Well, in truth my comments were probably posted in the wrong thread! I read another thread regarding this, then got distracted, then responded in this thread. Having said that...

Plant oil? I dunno, will my wife have to pay more to cook our meals? This thread also mentioned peanut oil. What will happen to the price of peanuts? Will peanut butter go outta site? That used to be a staple lunch for me when I was a kid, because we didn't have much. Imagine a world where the poor can't afford a peanut butter sandwich! Why would we take a sandwich out of the mouth of a poor kid, instead of simply drilling on our own land and producing our own oil?!?!?

kenholl

Reaction score
Food vs fuel debate

Vegetable oil economy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In some poor countries the rising price of vegetable oil is causing problems. There are those that say using a food crop for fuel sets up competition between food in poor countries and fuel in rich countries. Some propose that fuel only be made from non-edible vegetable oils like jatropha oil. Others argue that the problem is more fundamental. Farmers can switch from producing food crops to producing biofuel crops to make more money, even if the new crops are not edible. The law of supply and demand predicts that if less farmers are producing food the price of food will rise. It may take some time, as farmers can take some time to change which things they are growing, but increasing demand for biofuels is likely to result in price increases for many kinds of food. Some have pointed out that there are poor farmers and poor countries making more money because of the higher price of vegetable oil.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14