comment Prices of Veg oil and Peanut oils take off

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, ethanol and Vegetable oil are mutually exclusive. Vegetable oil is actualy profitabel to use, and takes a lot less resources per gallon than ethanol.
Second, as I posted in a previous thread, Canada is the number one supplier of oil to the US. Saudi Arabia is number two and Mexico is number three. So that means that the majority of our oil comes from North American countries. Crude Oil and Total Petroleum Imports Top 15 Countries This is a link to the US government statement. I was actually surprised that Nigeria is number three. Here Top U.S. Refineries - Energy Information Administration. Energy Rankings is the refining capacity, and in the recent oil exec testimony to congress tehy stated that production was at only 80% of capacity, additionally, a lot of the oil is actually rfined in the country of origin.

The real problem is that world wide demand for oil has skyrocketed. China is allowing more and more of its citizens to purchase vehicles, and with over a billion people, that is a huge amount of SUV's. India is also in a position of buying a ton more vehicles, and we are all battling for the same oil. So there are some options...

1. We could do more diesel vehicles, that would be able to run on Veggie oil, like they were originally intended to do.
2. We could improve mass transit so that more people would be willing to use it.
3. We could dictate more efficient vehicles.
4. We all could find ways to conserve without having a 55 mph speed limit imposed on us.

I personally, am in favor of 1 and 4. I think they are the most sensible. It would also help to grow some veggie oil sources that cannot grow in a typical farming environment, such as Jojoba that grows in desert areas, and other similar crops.

It would also help if the NIMBY bunch would not use oil as a bully pulpit to force their agenda down the throats of everyone.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I don't blame the saudi's for damn near putting out a cigar on Bush's forehead when he went over there. We want them to crank up production so we have cheaper fuel, but we won't [can't] drill and refine on our own soil? Is this not like asking them to get some Nuke plants going on their soil and sending us the power? At what point do we drill, refine on domestic soil, and stop the dependency on OPEC?

Kicked him in the Little Georgie was more like it.. they told him to ph*ck right the heck off.

And it was a token visit to the Saudis, a day after his visit to the Knesset commemorating Israel's creation, and pissing off of the Arab world 60 years ago.

It would be 2 years at a MINIMUM before we see any of the fuel from 500 new wells if they were all drilled tomorrow.

This is all going to be over by then.

We're headed for an economic meltdown.

Let's get Ramprat over here to tell us about the National ID card coming down the pipe this summer. Some call this "the mark of the Beast"

I smell Armageddon.

other people say it's my feet :lmao

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
1. We could do more diesel vehicles, that would be able to run on Veggie oil, like they were originally intended to do.
2. We could improve mass transit so that more people would be willing to use it.
3. We could dictate more efficient vehicles.
4. We all could find ways to conserve without having a 55 mph speed limit imposed on us.

5. Curtail the ethanol subsidies to US farmers and allow CHEAP Brazilian ethanol to be imported.

Cuphea is a promising plant for its oil in bioD production.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Kicked him in the Little Georgie was more like it.. they told him to ph*ck right the heck off.

If memory serves, just about everything the Saudis have in the way of military hardware says "Made in USA" on it, like the F-15 fighters they fly.

It would be a shame if all of a sudden, the supply of spare parts started to dry up.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score

What would help more, would be instead of choking new diesel engines with these B.S. emissions that reduce power & mileage, we should be achieving lower emissions through greater fuel economy.

If a gallon of diesel fuel emits "X" pounds of pollutants, why not spread that "X" amount of pollutants over 20 miles instead of 12 miles. What would that be?, something like a 30% reduction of pollutants? And a 30% reduction of fuel consumed?

But instead, if we want a new turbo diesel pickup, we have to buy one that pollute less, run like crap with no power and get lowsey mileage to boot.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
5. Curtail the ethanol subsidies to US farmers and allow CHEAP Brazilian ethanol to be imported.

Waitaderntootinminnit here Richard....... you want to stop paying Americans to produce something and send OUR money offshore? Hmmmm... I can see it now- The year is 2020 and we sit here whining and moaning about the dang Brazillian Ethanol cartel that has us by the short and curly's. :watchout

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score

Are you proposing to make the Brazilians tomorrows Saudis? It is the same thing. They hold the "oil".

Dave

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
What I am saying is that making ethanol from corn is not efficient. It takes more energy to produce than it yields. What kind of an energy policy is this? Foolhardy at best. Brazil's ethanol is sugar cane based and yields almost 5 times as much as corn because of its very high sugar content. The price of ethanol in Brazil is cheap so even with tariffs and taxes it could alleviate the demand for gasoline. The Iowa farmers will still grow corn and will still get good money per acre of crops and the corn can feed pigs which will help the pig farmer's bottom line which will lower pork prices for your next bbq and corn on the cob prices too. I don't see who loses? :dunno Our energy policy is screwed up. Importing Brazilian ethanol is a quick fix until we get our future energy infrastructures built. I am so for nuclear power you wouldn't believe it. It's all Al Gore's fault with his Tennessee coal based coal fired power plants which are spewing more CO2 in the atmosphere than most people know. :dizzy

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
...and the next day all Saudi oil shipments to the USA will be diverted.

It's called the "Golden Rule"
whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

They don't call it "black gold" for nothing...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14