Help Needed Problem with my ABS brake system.

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my ABS brake system on my '01 F350 and could use some advice on what it might be. Sometimes when I'm doing regular braking and almost at a complete stop, my pedal will start to shudder and just pull the steering wheel to one side. It doesn't happen every time I brake, and when it does it only happens when I'm almost stopped.

I know it is a problem with my ABS because I disconnected my ABS sensors at the hubs, and the truck brakes fine. Any idea on what specific ABS componant might be bad and how much the part costs?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
wheel speed sensor.
I haven't seen many Fords do it, but that's a common problem with GM trucks, and you described it perfectly.

It may or may not have stored codes, but if you have access to a scanner with data stream and movie capability, you'll see one "dropping out"

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ABS Problem

wheel speed sensor.
I haven't seen many Fords do it, but that's a common problem with GM trucks, and you described it perfectly.

It may or may not have stored codes, but if you have access to a scanner with data stream and movie capability, you'll see one "dropping out"

Thanks for the input. Do you have an idea of what the speed sensor costs, and whether it is hard to replace myself? I'm probably going to take it to a dealer to have them run a diagnostic test on it to be sure.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Do you have an idea of what the speed sensor costs, and whether it is hard to replace myself? I'm probably going to take it to a dealer to have them run a diagnostic test on it to be sure.

Not to Hijack but... The VSS costs about $25.00, from Ford.. It's located on top of the Rear Dif/Rear End. .. unplug the pin plug.. 10mm wrench to undo the hold down clamp.. replace the VSS.. tighten the clamp.. plug it back in.. yer good to go. 20 minute fix.

Joe

Last edited:

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ABS Help

Not to Hijack but... The VSS costs about $25.00, from Ford.. It's located on top of the Rear Dif/Rear End. .. unplug the pin plug.. 10mm wrench to undo the hold down clamp.. replace the VSS.. tighten the clamp.. plug it back in.. yer good to go. 20 minute fix.

Joe

Does that speed sensor on the rear differential also control the front brakes, or is there one on both the front and rear differential? Everything I feel is in the front end when the ABS acts up? Whatever it is, it causes the truck to pull to one side.

I could definitely handle $25. I was wondering if it was the main control module or something more expensive like that (don't know how much they cost yet). Will a diagnostic check at a dealer tell exactly what the problem is, or will they just throw parts at it? Although I would like to avoid the cost of taking it to a dealer.

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some research in my Haynes manual and called for some prices. There is basically a:

1. Front speed sensor on each front hub ($188 a piece).
2. One rear speed sensor on top of rear differential ($28)
3. Computer/hydraulic control module ($809)

4. $90 just for dealer to diagnose

Would a bad rear speed sensor cause my brake pedal to shudder, and cause the truck to pull to one side when I'm almost stopped (seems like mainly a front ABS thing but I'm not sure)?

Is the front sensor easily removable or do you have to tear apart a lot to get to it and remove it? I'm wondering if it might be a bad front sensor on the front side that the truck pulls to.:dunno

Any mechanics out there have a good idea of which item is probably bad?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear VSS sends some [primary] speed data to the PCM.. to activate the ABS system(s)... I'm Not FWD but a $28.00 rear VSS would be an inexpensive, first place, to start trouble shoot'n.. maybe :dunno

joe

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear VSS sends some [primary] speed data to the PCM.. to activate the ABS system(s)... I'm Not FWD but a $28.00 rear VSS would be an inexpensive, first place, to start trouble shoot'n.. maybe :dunno

joe

The rear is cheap, and I was thinking of trying that for a shot in the dark. I forgot that I have a Hypertech programmer that gives me DTC codes. I plugged it in, but it only gave me a code of P1000. From what I've researched that code says [Monitor checks not complete - More driving required]. So not much help right now.

My ABS light is on now since I have the front sensors disconnected, but my ABS light never came on prior while it was acting funny. Just more info for any of those with the knowledge to help.

atk

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my ABS brake system on my '01 F350 and could use some advice on what it might be. Sometimes when I'm doing regular braking and almost at a complete stop, my pedal will start to shudder and just pull the steering wheel to one side. It doesn't happen every time I brake, and when it does it only happens when I'm almost stopped.

I know it is a problem with my ABS because I disconnected my ABS sensors at the hubs, and the truck brakes fine. Any idea on what specific ABS componant might be bad and how much the part costs?

does it always pull to one side when it acts up?

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ABS help

does it always pull to one side when it acts up?

Yes it does. It only happens at very slow speed. Like I mentioned, I'm almost at a complete stop when it acts up. Pedal will pulsate along with some noise, and at the last second it will slightly pull my steering wheel to the right if I remember correctly. No ABS light ever comes on.

I disconnected both front ABS sensors, and the truck brakes just fine. No pull or anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14