Help Needed Problem with my ABS brake system.

atk

Reaction score
sound`s like the problem is the left front. it could be a wheel speed sensor on that side, like JL suggested.

another thing you can try, remove the wheel speed sensor(without breaking it) and check the mating surface for rust build up. if there is rust build up, clean off and retry with the old sensor....cheap easy fix....done this before, on different vehicles that had similar symptoms....hope this helps

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sound`s like the problem is the left front. it could be a wheel speed sensor on that side, like JL suggested.

another thing you can try, remove the wheel speed sensor(without breaking it) and check the mating surface for rust build up. if there is rust build up, clean off and retry with the old sensor....cheap easy fix....done this before, on different vehicles that had similar symptoms....hope this helps

Steering wheel pulls to the right. Would it be the left front or the right front sensor that is the likely culprit and why? If I can get them out easily, I'll try cleaning like you said. Maybe i could even swap sides with the sensors to see if problem tracks with the sensor and know for sure which is bad.

atk

Reaction score
Steering wheel pulls to the right. Would it be the left front or the right front sensor that is the likely culprit and why? If I can get them out easily, I'll try cleaning like you said. Maybe i could even swap sides with the sensors to see if problem tracks with the sensor and know for sure which is bad.

left front....that side is sensing a lock-up condition(which will then cause a the brake too pulsate on the left front), where as the right front still has constant brake pressure, which will lead it to pulling to the right(hope this makes sense). swapping sensors is a option too, especially if you don`t have a scanner to see what the wheel speed sensors are doing and if the problem follows, then you will know the sensor is the culprit....

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
left front....that side is sensing a lock-up condition(which will then cause a the brake too pulsate on the left front), where as the right front still has constant brake pressure, which will lead it to pulling to the right(hope this makes sense). swapping sensors is a option too, especially if you don`t have a scanner to see what the wheel speed sensors are doing and if the problem follows, then you will know the sensor is the culprit....

Thanks for the feedback atk, and from everyone else. I will give all of your ideas a try when I get a chance.

SJB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think I have the problem figured out now.

I pulled out both front wheel sensors, and checked them out. They were both clean. I did notice on one of them (left one) that the protective coating over the tip had some small holes. Not sure if it was burn marks or not. Right one appeared to be in better condition. So I swapped the sensors to opposite sides. Drove the truck today, and the ABS started acting up again. However, this time the truck started pulling to the left instead of the right. So it looks like ATK was right. Looks like my left front (now on right) is bad. Fortunately I found a new sensor online for $105 compared to the dealer's $190. So hopefully I'll get that sensor soon and have her fixed up. Thanks ATK and to everyone for the help.;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14