Problems

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's still not to late to order a HitchHiker. LOL

Yes it is... I gave him $1,000 down to order the Wildcat.. Also gave him my word that I would buy it. I told him that if it did not come in by April 1st, I would cancel my order. He said that he would not blame me if that happened but promised it would be here before then. I have been in contact with the manufacturer Forest River out of Dallas Oregon. Because of the snow, our unit has been rescheduled to be started on Friday March 2nd. We have scheduled a tour with them on Monday the 5th of March so we can take some pictures of the plumbing and electrical as it is being built. Dallas Oregon is about 398 miles north of Redding Ca. so it will be a nice drive, if they stop getting snow storms.
Here is a question for you guys who live in the snow... How does the PSD "empty" do in snow or ice? I know our explorer does great, but contemplating whether to take the truck or explorer.
Since it does not snow here, I am NOT an experienced driver in the snow, and being old, eyes are not as good as they used to be.

atk

Reaction score
Yes it is... I gave him $1,000 down to order the Wildcat.. Also gave him my word that I would buy it. I told him that if it did not come in by April 1st, I would cancel my order. He said that he would not blame me if that happened but promised it would be here before then. I have been in contact with the manufacturer Forest River out of Dallas Oregon. Because of the snow, our unit has been rescheduled to be started on Friday March 2nd. We have scheduled a tour with them on Monday the 5th of March so we can take some pictures of the plumbing and electrical as it is being built. Dallas Oregon is about 398 miles north of Redding Ca. so it will be a nice drive, if they stop getting snow storms.
Here is a question for you guys who live in the snow... How does the PSD "empty" do in snow or ice? I know our explorer does great, but contemplating whether to take the truck or explorer.
Since it does not snow here, I am NOT an experienced driver in the snow, and being old, eyes are not as good as they used to be.

in 2wd it can be tricky at times, but in 4wd , it works great...if you add some weight in the box, it deffintely helps. just make sure you have a way to fasten the weight down!!!! from working at a wrecking yard, i have seen what can happen when weight in the box isn`t fastened down properly....if you still are concerned take the explorer. take what feels more comfortable to you....just my:2c ...good luck and safe traveling....:thumbs

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks ATK;

The weak link in this trip is definitely me. I do have a winch that mounts to the bumper receiver hitch. That would add 80+ pounds to the back. I do not have anything that could be put into the bed that would be of any weight. I just remembered the survey on how badly the stock continental tires do on snow and ice.... hmmmm guess I better take the explorer. The PSD is just sitting there looking lonely, and needs to be taken out for a drive...Oh well spring is not to far off.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Thanks ATK;

The weak link in this trip is definitely me. I do have a winch that mounts to the bumper receiver hitch. That would add 80+ pounds to the back. I do not have anything that could be put into the bed that would be of any weight. I just remembered the survey on how badly the stock continental tires do on snow and ice.... hmmmm guess I better take the explorer. The PSD is just sitting there looking lonely, and needs to be taken out for a drive...Oh well spring is not to far off.

You should be ok in your truck with 4x4 with little to no weight. If there is no weight in the truck don't make sharp turns and hit the throttle. You will spin right out and head for a ditch. Drive what ever you are most comfortable in.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be ok in your truck with 4x4 with little to no weight. If there is no weight in the truck don't make sharp turns and hit the throttle. You will spin right out and head for a ditch. Drive what ever you are most comfortable in.

What do you think about the report on the stock continental tires in the snow?
I read some horror stories. My truck has 4000 plus miles on it now, so the tires are still good tread wise.

atk

Reaction score
What do you think about the report on the stock continental tires in the snow?
I read some horror stories. My truck has 4000 plus miles on it now, so the tires are still good tread wise.

yeah i didn`t hear good things about those tires either....but if you do run
4wd with those tires, i am sure you will do fine.....it does come down too, what you feel most comfortable driving if you do run into some bad weather...good luck....:thumbs...

personaly i would take the PSD....my:2c ...the truck itself, does track well in snow...but i do have weight in the back because of the snow plow....:D

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i didn`t hear good things about those tires either....but if you do run
4wd with those tires, i am sure you will do fine.....it does come down too, what you feel most comfortable driving if you do run into some bad weather...good luck....:thumbs...

personaly i would take the PSD....my:2c ...the truck itself, does track well in snow...but i do have weight in the back because of the snow plow....:D

Sundays weather looks good, but Monday and Tuesday, we might get snow just south of Ashland, up on the summit. Last time we were there, in a snowstorm, it was a nightmare. Cars were lined up for miles waiting to install chains. That time we were in the explorer, and I do remember being passed by a PSD, so he was doing fine. It would be nice to take the PSD, because it is faster, and better mpg. The exporer's sweet spot is 60 mph, at 2000 rpm. The PSD likes 70 mph at 2000 rpm.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will be fine in the truck. I have driven all over the snow country and it handles great. Just lock in your hubs before you need them and you will be all set. :)

Dave

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be fine in the truck. I have driven all over the snow country and it handles great. Just lock in your hubs before you need them and you will be all set. :)

Dave
Hey Dave;

quick question... I have the shift on the fly 4x4, is there any advantage of manually locking the hubs?

Thanks
Maxtor

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Not really. I don't have SOF and I lock mine in before I need them. Good Luck, not that you will really need it.

Dave:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58