Programmers

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the Quadzilla "Stealth" programmer on the 2K for about 8 years now.. decided to up-grade.. to one with power settings that could be changed.. On the "Fly", plus any updated programming concepts from Quadzilla. Called and talked with the Techs.. there were many.

Went with the "Xzillaraider".

Plug'n Play. Took about 2 hours to install. (with breaks;))

Plugs [In-line] with/into the MAP, EOT and ICP sensors.. redirects those data & values to an under the dash Module.. then to a dash mounted, "Control Pod". Has 20, 40, 60 and 80 HP settings, with 60, 100, 140 and 180fbs of increased torque, respectively. Monitors EOT temp, ICP press. and boost.. as well as the Whizo things that the module does with timing, ect.

Just installed it today so don't have any in-depth results yet.. but did take it on a 25 mile Test Hop.. Felt SOTP things in all the settings..I'm happy, so far. A good 5r tow will tell the tale.

One feature it has, that I like.. Nothing Changes/Increases from Stock, until the EOT reaches 150*.

We'll see. More to follow ?

Joe

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
If you dont mind me askin, how much does that programmer go for? When I get my gauge kit for my 99, i want to get a chip or programmer. What do you recommend? Pros and cons for both?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dont mind me askin, how much does that programmer go for?

$325.00.. Direct from Quadzilla.

When I get my gauge kit for my 99, i want to get a chip or programmer. What do you recommend? Pros and cons for both?

I don't like to necessarily Recommend anything but, I've had good, long term, trouble free results from Quadzilla programmers.. so I've stayed with'm. Also had a couple of Hyper-Tech's too.. thru the years on various engines, gas & diesels. Also dependable.

Chip or Programmer ? With a Chip you can get them custom tuned, with a Programmer you get what you get... both are good.. depending on what you want to do.... "Tweak" things, Or "Change" things (so to speak) ;):).

A matter of personal choice :dunno

Joe

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A matter of personal choice :dunno

That's what it comes down too..

My personal choice is a chip because of the SWOF capabilities, custom tuning, and the amount of options you get with a chip vs a programmer. Then again, I'm only speaking from one side....I've never owned a programer.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I've been leanin towards the DP chip. I dont really need a super fast tune for racing or anything. Im mainly looking for yrs of more service from my engine and better mpg's.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A daily driver tune would probably be what you are needing. I was wanting to go with DP but Jody wouldn't re-burn my TS chip. So I'm waiting (impatiently) on my chip to get back from PHP. I asked them before I sent the chip off if they would have enough time to get it done before the holidays, and they said "sure...usually a 3 day turn around on a chip reburn." They've had my chip 2-3 weeks now. Hopefully they got it sent off as they are now closed today through the 17th. I got a long trip back home coming up and I'd like to get the chip back before then to bump my mpg back up. Right now I get 13mpg hwy. With the chip I get 18-20. If i dont, I may just take a 4hr ride over to the shop so maybe they can finish burning the chip and let me dyno for a little extra $$$.
------------------------------------

Just got the shipping info I requested!!!! ETA is Monday :)

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I mainly want a daily tune, towing tune, maybe a smoke tune since I got stacks if it dont mess my engine up. What do you guys recommend? I still got to get gauges though but just shoppin around.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another point I pondered, about staying with a Programmer ? ...

With the EPA & CARB (here in Cali*), as out of control as they are.. with the looming Smog Check requirements.. being Grandfathered back to the older Diesels (?).. Currently it's just a Visual Check, for the Cat, if required, excessive Smoke and any obvious engine mods.... but in the not to distant future... I can see them plugging into the DIN and looking for PCM/ECM mods present.. or having Been present... What "they" would do with that (?) I don't know.

Point being: With [this] tuner, I can simply unplug the module, plug in a by-pass plug.. and everything is back to OEM Stock.. with No evidence of any PCM/ECM mods ever being present, visually on the PCM module, or internally.

BUT.. we're still at: Your, Personal Choice.

* ya just gota know... whatever these C.A.R.B Geeks conjure up... will prolly (soon) be required.. Nation Wide ?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mainly want a daily tune, towing tune, maybe a smoke tune since I got stacks if it dont mess my engine up. What do you guys recommend? I still got to get gauges though but just shoppin around.

If it was me with what you are wanting, 1: Stock, 2: Tow, 3: Heavy Tow, 4: Daily, 5: Another Daily/ or Whisper , 6: Smoke

I'm happy with my glow shift gauges... $200 off ebay. I'm not sure if too much smoke would mess the engine up or not...I would hope not. Interested in that topic:dunno

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Joe, aren't programmers and chips suppose to NOT leave a foot print on the pcm? Thats what I read on a lot of them anyways. You would think they would want us to get better mpg:dunno Of course there are those just blowing fuel out the pipe :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl