progressively worse

thewater47

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
95 F250 Auto Ext 4x4 7.3 Started out like this... no problems then check eng light on, drop down to like running on 1/2 power. 10 seconds seconds later, light off and back to normal. Frequency of this increased and lasting longer. Tried two different code readers that did not work, but went on to replace IDM, inspected pins at VC wiring harness's, look ok, unplugged map sensor and plugged back in, did not change anything. Ordered two harness assemblys for under VCs (not arrived yet) at $50 each, but I probably wasted that money too. Today I thought I would see if the tach is registering while cranking to rule out CPS. Tried unplugging the Injector Pressure sensor at drivers side front of head and plugging back, no change. I know I should probably have it towed to someone who can scan it for me, but wont be able to today. Before this all started happening, I had a guy that tows for me change the oil and fuel filter. He tells me he put in a quart of tranny fluid in the tank because he read in a trade mag it is good for diesels. No doubt I was pissed, but asked around and most people say that wouldnt hurt anything. In light of that stupidity though, I changed the fuel filter again. Any other ideas??

Last edited:

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be fuel heater going bad,low fuel pressure,weak batteries or corroded connections,low oil,old oil. does this happen cold or hot, wet or dry day. Was the tach registering while cranking?Could be something as simple as cleaning the FPR screen.Is it running at all or not? The experts will be looking at this soon give them a little more info and they will get you going.

thewater47

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Clem. Can I try to clean that FPR screen? Where is it? I think my batteries are good. I do suspect fuel related., It is about 10 degrees here today and it is hard to keep running, but I will try to get into my work building. It is sitting outside plugged in. The oil has about 200 miles on it, but I would try changing. Come to think of it, the problems started when it was changed. What type of oil do you suggest?

Last edited:

Jcart

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey thewater...

What I do to clean the FPR screen:
Drain some fuel out of the fuel filter canister Not all though.
Remove the fuel filter set aside.
Now look inside the fuel filter canister housing and on the drivers side of the canister about half way down you will see a hole about 1/2" in diameter.
Get a handfull of Q-tips and a small mirror. (would NOT recommend the wifes, G friends......unless they really like Diesel...heheh).
Using the Q-tips clean push in the 1/2" hole and clean any keeerap that is on the screan. I dip the Q-tips in the Diesel in the fuel canister first. The small mirror (for best results) should fit inside the canister to see if you get all the keerap off the screen.

Have you ever replaced your Cam Position Sensor (CPS).

jrc

thewater47

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info....I have never changed the CPS, and not sure what he put in for oil, most likely what he buys in 55gal bulk. I had synthetic in it before he changed it.

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
did you remove the VC's also did you smell to see if it smells like burnt wiring under the VC's through the oil filler hole?

thewater47

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Clem and Guys...pulled out the fuel filter and that screen was not even recognizable as a screen, plugged black. About a dozen cue tips later I clicked the key and its running like a scalded ass dog. Just plowed for about 3hours. Anybody want to buy an reprogrammed IDM and two under VC harness's?? Thanks very much for your help, you guys are great.

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad your back on the road.You might as well keep what you bought and get a spare CPS for the glove box.I use 15w-40 Shell Rotella.

Jcart

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thewater47 said:
Clem and Guys...pulled out the fuel filter and that screen was not even recognizable as a screen, plugged black. About a dozen cue tips later I clicked the key and its running like a scalded ass dog. Just plowed for about 3hours. Anybody want to buy an reprogrammed IDM and two under VC harness's?? Thanks very much for your help, you guys are great.

When you next change your fuel filter check to see how/if it is blackish in colour or not. The black material you pulled off the screen can/could be injector oring material. a black fuel filter and possible oil consumption is an indication that you need to replace your injector o-rings , which is an opportunity to install performance injectors......just imagine how much MORE snow you could push with say 350-400HP at the wheels.....:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg