Question Propane injection worth it???

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have an 01 F350 cc 4x4 w/TS chip, BIG BOOST, AFE stage 1, Billet TC, stock-straight pipe exhaust, and just had the transmission beefed up when rebuilt, 3" body lift, 315-75-16 TOYO open country A/T tires.

I have plans for the following upgrades in order of purchase: Gauges (Pyro, boost, trans. temp.), wicked wheel, 5" straight pipe exhaust, Adrenaline HPOP, and propane. I may do stage 1.5 injectors and performance fuel pump....but thats digging deep in the pocket book. Any other suggestions would be great (Other than the Zoodad mod....I think ppl do it just to say they've don it. My opinion waste of time but I could be wrong)

My main question is: Is propane injection worth it after the mpg increase and the cost of propane? I'm not interested in quick shot for race or anything like that, just to boost my torque a little and give a boost to my mpg when pulling a load. Also, does anyone know what kind of mpg increase it would give for interstate driving with no load and mpg with 10, 000lb fifth wheel?

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Propane Injection

I think with the modifications you have now you should have a set of gauges, very important to monitor the boost, egt's and transmission temps. The propane on the other hand will give you the added horsepower and torque along with gains in fuel economy if used wisely. Check with the manufacture that makes the kit to get actual dyno results along with fuel economy test results to give you accurate numbers. There also might be somebody on here using it that will chime in. I have worked on propane injected Cummins generators but they had the proper fuel and ignition components, they run for a long time with low fuel consumption and costs, also they run clean too. :sweet

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!!! :thumbs Yea I know that I should have already gotten the gauges but I just kinda jumped into it with buying the chip first. I was thinking running the propane maybe around 5psi when engaged. I dont know how much that actually is but I saw a set-up with a minimum of about 3.5psi. I was also interested in a set-up that engaged at a certain speed. Hope to hear someone's opinion that usues propane and what they reccomend.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Get the gauges now, Rammertide07! You can and will cook your motor without them. It is easier than you might think.

Dave

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I figure if you can run a truck with a chip with a pyrometer and still drive normally you can do it without the pyro. Only case that I probably needed it was when I pulled my 34' fifth wheel camper for the first time. It was a 4hr haul at 75mph. Thats also when I noticed that I needed something for the turbo surge....wicked wheel.

JRJ04

Reaction score
If it were me, the first thing I would do (after gauges of course), is get a better chip. Youd be surprised at the power gains and fuel economy with a custom chip from DP Tuner, TWildman, PHP etc. TS is a cookie cutter chip...you arent getting the most out of your rig with it.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of mpg increase would I get with the DP or Tony Wildman? With my current mods I'm getting 16+ around town. What do you have in your truck? I here ppl saying to do that but then they dont back it up with their OWN experience. Just what they hear other ppl say and that is not solid enough evidence for me to take my chip out and sed it off. My uncle has a super chip program in his F250 and blows a lot of smoke...thats not what I'm wanting either.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
there are plenty of people on here with chips from tony and jodi that love em and talk about them all the time....custom is what they are..you're worried about that but you will run your truck pretty hard with all those upgrades but have no gauges so you have a clue what is going on hmmm...

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
ill chime in with my experience.
When i bought my truck about 8 months ago, it had a superchip.
i ran pretty good and i could tell a difference over stock for sure. i hated the whole process of changing the settings. i sold my superchip and bought the DP Tuner F5 and love it. i can switch on the fly, it changed my tranny shift points, and i now have a high idle setting. the 60 HP tow setting on my DP Tuner gave my truck more power than the 110 HP "High Performance" setting on the superchip!

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOOK, I've done said I know I need the gauges and I've done said they will be my NEXT purchase...SO DROP IT. I'm not ignorant...I know I needed the gauges from the get-go, I just chose a different route of doing my upgrades. I spoke with a certified ford powerstoke mechanic ,before I bought the chip, that does all my engine work, and he said I would be fine without gauges with 75hp and 50hp increase. I NEVER run it on 100hp. I had it put on so when I finish my upgrades it will be there. I've never had a gas burner, only PSD so its nothing new to me. My main question was for the propane injection and only ONE person has addressed it. I didn't become interested in doing a reburn untill someone else brought it up, so I was just asking...my bad. Yes I asked about about the TW tunes, but I asked for ppl with their OWN experience and the specs. Most ppl (like you that have HEARD) say they are great tunes, but most of that is related to the shifting/acceleration and smoke. Thats great but I'm also wanting MPG increase and lower EGT's. From what I have read....smoke is wasted fuel from over-fueling which also raises EGT's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg