PSD with the easy life

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.0 ps

Whats to disagree with? The reason they test their trucks in the extreme cold and the extreme heat is because that stresses them most. The engines are manufactured to precise tolerances and when you start them in extreme cold weather those tolerances are not necessarily "right". Engines are engines, and any engine manufacturer will tell you that to minimize wear in cold climates preheat is necessary, as well as a revised maintenance schedule to help. You've obviously never started a diesel at -40. Its hard on the engine, starter, batteries, tranny, differential, if it moves it is being stressed more than a summer start at 70 degrees F.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that maintenance is easier in the South but I believe there is more damageon startup in colder weather than in a warmer climate. Here in MS we got 5 inches of snow this morning so so much for a warmer climate.

Side by Side with maintenance equal:

Exact same model of truck exact same mileage with only difference is that one spent its life in south and the other spent its entire life in extreme north.

price is the same for each. Which one would you pick? South or North?

One word answers please. :dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
South for the reason that the South does not salt the hell outa the roads. Warm or cold starts don't matter to me.

Dave

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
South or North

South for the reason that the South does not salt the hell outa the roads. Warm or cold starts don't matter to me.

Dave

Actually they do. I work for the DOT as an Engineer and built the first salt brine generator 7 years ago. MDOT has been salting the roads for the past 2 months plus this season.

Most surrounding state DOTs use salt as well Just not in the same quantities as some northern states. We are one of the as far as you can get southern states and we have a fleet of snow plows as well. By the way Salt brine is at 26 % maximum saturation (the same for all brine regardless of the state) which will eat metal body parts up just as you allude to.

In fact I just got off of the phone 15 minutes ago with a call from dispatch staing that the interstate was iced over in a certain area and needed the brine truck to make a pass.

It's just the engine I want to reference in this thread.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have been using liquid calcium on the roads here which melts ice on contact but will destroy a truck with corrosion

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But we have salt problems here to. You forget there salt water on three side of Florida to. I have seen trucks here that look like they were up north and never left the state. Plus with hurricanes here you never know if it was a water baby or not. They don't always report it, they clean it so it looks like new and sell it to some poor sap.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will stick with a Phoenix truck. No salt, no snow, no freezing cold starts. Summers are tough, but, it just makes for a better oil viscosity at start up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58