PTO idle up mod - 2003 Excursion

ScottK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just found this from FTE:

If you've been following the thread..... I hooked it up tonight and IT WORKS.

All you late model Excursion owners can have SEIC (Stationary Elevated Idle Control) and it will only cost you $5.95 and about two hours of your time
(one hour schmoozing your local dealer technician) Here's a brief description.

I highly reccomend if you're not up on the SEIC mod that you shoud do a search and check the tech sections so that you are up to speed with the modification.

Just because this works on my 2005 Excursion 6.0 PSD I have no idea if it will work on yours. I cannot be held responsable for any oops I just fried what ever.

1) Visit your local dealer with a dozen Dunkin dounuts, and ask the service manager if they have any warrantied PCM hanesses they could cannabilize for you. (you need one female terminal with wire 2 feet long, any color)

2) Go ahead and install your toggle or I prefer the round rocker switch. The switch will need to be connected to an ignition hot source. Connect the other side of the switch to one of the customer access firewall pass through wires.

3) Remove the drivers side battery cables, battery shield and battery.

4) This will give you access to the PCM. Next you need to remove one of the three PCM connectors. the one you want is the one closest to the fire wall ( connector #C1381a ) To remove the connector push the grey lever on the top of the connector towards the passenger side of the vehical.

5) Once you have the connector removed disassemble the black shroud from the back of the connector to do this gently release the four barbed tabs with a scratch pick and remove the cover.

6) Load a 9/64 bit in your drill, hold the connector horizonally in your left hand, locate the empty socket on the right hand vertical row of sockets, second from the top this is socket # 12. GENTLY drill the socket out ( the back of my connector had some plastic "flash" in it preventing the socket from fitting into the connector.

7) Get out your trusty Hot Melt Glue Gun and pre heat it.

8) Insert the socket salvaged from you local dealer into the back of the connector, oriented the same as the other sockets in that vertical row.
Hot melt glue the socket in place from the back side (the side with the wire)

9) Once the glue dries reinstall the black shroud to the connector, tie wrap your new wire to that connectors bundle and route it towards the firewall
(I fished mine through a new split loom in place already that I had run for my driving lights)

10) Connect your new wire to which ever through the firewall wire you're using.

11) Re-connect the PCM connector to the PCM. To do this gently push the connector on the socket, Hold your mouth just right and wiggle and jiggle the grey lever until it pulls the connector home and snaps in place.

12) Reinstall your battery, shield and cables.

13) Ready to test.
Vehicle in park, parking brake set, no feet on either the service brake or the throttle. toggle switch off. Start your engine, flip your toggle switch and your engine will idle up to 1200 rpm.

Looks like my hunch might be right, the PCM will do it, but the wire is not in the harness connector! Wow, so just modify the connector. If I can verify the pinout, I may try, if I do I'll post and let you all know how it went.

Hey Dave, how can I get a look at the pinout for the Excursion PCM SEIC connection? Do I need to buy the DVD or a manual?

Last edited:

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
ScottK said:
Just found this from FTE:

If you've been following the thread..... I hooked it up tonight and IT WORKS.

All you late model Excursion owners can have SEIC (Stationary Elevated Idle Control) and it will only cost you $5.95 and about two hours of your time
(one hour schmoozing your local dealer technician) Here's a brief description.

1) Visit your local dealer with a dozen Dunkin dounuts, and ask the service manager if they have any warrantied PCM hanesses they could cannabilize for you. (you need one female terminal with wire 2 feet long, any color)

Any pics to go along with this? Sounds like you just need to buy a wire, why the whole harness?

SCOTTK said:
6) Load a 9/64 bit in your drill, hold the connector horizonally in your left hand, locate the empty socket on the right hand vertical row of sockets, second from the top this is socket # 12. GENTLY drill the socket out ( the back of my connector had some plastic "flash" in it preventing the socket from fitting into the connector.

Not sure I understand this step. Maybe it'd help if I looked at the PCM. :dunno

ScottK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Het Tex,
You're right, just buy the wire, but for a factory look and no drilling, you'd want to buy the harness. The harness would be a way to do this mod and not alert the media of tampering with the PCM if you bring it in for warranty work. I don't know which way I'll go, but I don't want to void a warranty due to adding a jury-rigged wire to the PCM.

I think you have to drill the plastic filler out the the connector slot where this wire should be on the PCM harness connector, because PTO idle up is not an option on the X, or at least that's what I get out of it. It would pay to peek at the connector.

If I pursue the drilled connector route, I'll let you know, and I'll try to post pics.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
ScottK said:
Het Tex,
You're right, just buy the wire, but for a factory look and no drilling, you'd want to buy the harness. The harness would be a way to do this mod and not alert the media of tampering with the PCM if you bring it in for warranty work. I don't know which way I'll go, but I don't want to void a warranty due to adding a jury-rigged wire to the PCM.

Yeah, I agree with that. I like stuff to look professionally done, not like I did it.:roflmao My only concern is getting a harness from the dealer. They're going to know I'm up to something and I doubt they're just going to fork over a harness without suspicion, know what I mean? Especially for the PCM.

The intent of the harness is to add one wire to the existing harness on the X versus replacing the whole harness, right?

ScottK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The way I see it, we either drill out the harness we have onboard now, or buy one with the wiring already there. I'm not too sure of terminating the coonections of a new harness just to gain a needed wire, that would look suspect for certain!
This guy drilled out his harness and got a wire and connector to hook up to his PCM from his dealer. If I thought I could do it and not be detected as tampering, I'd get the (correct color code) wire and connector from somewhere, he did mention the dealer seemed "Mod friendly"?
I'm going to post on another forum where I know Ford techs are at and see if they can get a lead on the wire and connector, then look at my PCM harness when I get a chance.
I have to get back to work now!

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
from what I understand, only the 2003 and 2004 models with the 6.0 can do the "mod", all others have to actually purchase the AIC device and hook it up.-popcorn

Now I'm wondering if the 03's and 04's might actually have the correct wire. The 2005's did not have the correct wire and therefore couldn't do the mod (at least I believe the limiting factor was the wire for the 05's).

Have you been out to look at your truck yet? Still too cold here. I could probably do it, but numb fingers are hard to work with.:eek:

ScottK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm try to look this afternoon, we're in a bit of a warm spot and it will be close to 72 later today, then cooler for the weekend. I have a school function to attend for my oldest daughter so it will be tight.
I'm buying the DVD manual off ebay in hopes of identifying the correct pinout for the PCM, and probably need it anyway for other repairs on the vehicle.

I'll post results later tonight if I have a chance to get it.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
ScottK said:
I'm try to look this afternoon, we're in a bit of a warm spot and it will be close to 72 later today, then cooler for the weekend. I have a school function to attend for my oldest daughter so it will be tight.
I'm buying the DVD manual off ebay in hopes of identifying the correct pinout for the PCM, and probably need it anyway for other repairs on the vehicle.

I'll post results later tonight if I have a chance to get it.

Are you buying the DVD for $19.95? That's the one I got. Just be aware that you have to reset the calendar on your computer every time you want to use it. Not a big deal, but it was a shock to me. DVD works well, though, aside from that.

72 degrees? I'd be outside all day long. It's been a mild winter but February was cold; 24 today and it's the warmest its been in quite a while. Too cold to work on the truck, especially if it's a new project that requires thought. :eek:

ScottK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Looking at a Ford OEM dvd for $24.00 on ebay.

Well Bruce, not to rub it in, but we're actually breaking a slight sweat here in central NC........only for today. The high is going to be 80° Then back down to a cool 55 tomorrow. We have been spoiled this winter with mild temps. I have had the boat out three times so far this year, and seen dozens of boats on the road at lunchtime......made me envious!
This also means the bugs will likely be terrible this year too.

Thinking about taking off early anyway for a school function tonight. Went out for lunch today and actually ran the A/C in the truck!

I sent you a PM

Last edited:

ScottK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Digging for details before doing anything.

OK, had time this evening to look at my PCM and connectors. Followed the instructions I found on FTE and everything was right on the money.

The PCM connector closest to the firewall, removed from the terminals:
excursion_PCM_001.jpg

The front of the connector, notice on the vertical row of female connectors (the black row) that the second pin down has no small guides like the rest. The little plastic "dovetail" is missing. This is the pin in question:
excursion_PCM_003.jpg

The back of the connector, showing the number 12 to the left of the pin, (second row down) and the part of the pin that still has plastic in it, hence the need for drilling out:
excursion_PCM_009.jpg

The numbers from my PCM. If anyone can find any use from this and tell me about it:
excursion_PCM_013.jpg

Still haven't pulled the trigger on the ebay DVD manual, there seem to be a few different flavors of it on there, and I don't want to buy something I can't use. I did see that on http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp?pageid=cat_1&gutsid=productdetail you can purchase access to FOMOCO manuals, schematics, diagrams, the whole gamut for a fee.

Will post more when I have info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg