PTO idle up mod - 2003 Excursion

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
ScottK said:
OK, had time this evening to look at my PCM and connectors. Followed the instructions I found on FTE and everything was right on the money.

Nice work, Scott. Great pictures, too. We're gonna get a warm spell--up here that means above 32. :thumbs If you figure out how to get a wire in there nice and good post up and I'll do the mod too. :thanks

ScottK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Supposed to be 78 here Saturday, I won't be working on the truck, gonna get the boat out and wet a hook at the lake with the kids!

Last edited:

ScottK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Cruised around the lake checking out anything that changed, ate lunch in the cabin, then caught a few crappie, all in all a fun day with the wife and kids!

I ordered a DVD manual off ebay, going to wait till it gets here to see what I can do with this mod....if anything.

Reaction score
Okay - so really you only need the harnass for the single wire - correct? If that's the case then all we are talking about is the actual metal end. That metal end appears to be the same as on any computer connector such as for a printer. That or just make one up.

From the way I read everything they are just adding a 12v source then to that wire and there ya go. Am I missing something?

I've got an old cable or two I could take apart and see if they match up.

Another option for the wire would be like TS Performance - the module they sell or sold used this same connection. Just like the Edge does. So the plug and wires are out there - it's just a matter of locating source.

Ron

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
I hooked up this mod this afternoon on my truck and it did NOT work. I followed the instructions that Scott posted a few weeks back. I waited to drill the hole in the dash for the switch until after I checked to see if it worked....now I'm glad I waited.

I did not have a perfect plug to connect the wire in the PCM harness, so that may have been the problem. I fancied up a connector on a wire and secured it into the harness to make contact. This may be the problem, but I'm thinking this mod will not work on the 03's, or at least my truck. If I'm able to procure the correct PCM wire I'll retry it (or if some smart guy figures out how to make a connecter...).

On a good note, though, it's very easy to do the mod......if it only works I'll be real happy.

BTW, I checked the power wire (white/blue) and it was supplying 13+ volts.

:confused:

Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
I hooked up this mod this afternoon on my truck and it did NOT work.

Did you put the emergency brake on and no touchy the brake pedal? If so - try without putting the emergency brake on - but no touch the brake pedal.

Ron

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
Did you put the emergency brake on and no touchy the brake pedal? If so - try without putting the emergency brake on - but no touch the brake pedal.

Ron

Sorry, I should've mentioned that. I tried with the emergency brake, without the emergency brake, even cleared out all the tools and shut the hood just in case that would make a difference (like the remote start--won't start with the hood open). I didn't touch the brake or the accelerator, either. None of those things worked. I didn't try it in nuetral, but I figured that wouldn't make a difference.

My PCM has the male connector on it, so I'd think the mod will work...it just didn't. Maybe I'll break down and go see the dealership and try to con them out of a connector.
:dunno

ScottK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Bruce,
Been working like crazy here and have not the opportunity to check in.....sounds like dissapointing news. I appreciate you trying though. It sounds as though you are not certain you had a good connection at the PCM.

Does anyone know if a programmer or chip can be had for the Excursion that will enable an the engine to idle up as one of the options? Would this be the same thing (the chip activates this circuit) or would the chip just alter the PCM signals to accomplish this?
As you can tell, I'm not too familiar with programmers or chips, but maybe there's a backdoor for this. I'm considering an Edge Attitude Platinum w/Juice display, but not for a while.

blacksheep

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
FWIW I did this mod on my 03 and it works perfect. No ebrake or hood closed needed. I would bet your connection is loose

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
blacksheep said:
FWIW I did this mod on my 03 and it works perfect. No ebrake or hood closed needed. I would bet your connection is loose

That's great news. What type of connection did you use on the PCM Harness? There's a few of us trying to figure something out, so please shed light on the subject! :hail

Just sent you a PM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg