Put in a chip, now I have crap radio reception?

Reaction score
Hey,

Is that was its called, an in line choke? Never heard of it before, but it sounds like its worth a shot. What do you mean by wire leads? As far as I know its just the wire that goes to the fuse box, the wire that goes to the pyro and the wire that goes to the OBD port. This sounds like the things that came with my TV for blocking interference on the power cables, kind of split in two to stick the wire through.

Thanks!

Jeff
Hi,

Jeff the technical name for it is a Toroid Choke - and T-Bar has you covered below on the website information. But yep - pretty much the same things that came with your TV.

Ron

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your terminology is correct. It is called a choke and it is used to filter out interference. BUT you have to get the correct choke for your type of interference. Try it and see if it helps. I am not an Electronics Eng'r so I can't help you find the correct one.

Dave

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
Your terminology is correct. It is called a choke and it is used to filter out interference. BUT you have to get the correct choke for your type of interference. Try it and see if it helps. I am not an Electronics Eng'r so I can't help you find the correct one.

Dave

Hey,

Well put 30$ worth of chokes on and nada, doesnt do anything. I put them on the wire that goes to the fuse box, which I dont think is a power wire but a power on wire. Also put themon the main power cord going to the back of the chip, 4 to be exact because I can't wrap them around a number of times, they are just to big. Any more suggestions definatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jeff

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Did you ever check to make sure it was hooked up to the correct fuse, in the fuse block.

I am willing to bet that, that wire is your main power source, and that it gets it's power on signal through the OBDII port, that's how the Banks PDA is set up, among others. If that power wire is piggybacked on the wrong fuse, say the radio fuse, it would cause the problems your experiencing.

Hope this helps

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Wire leads - the power wires that lead from the programmer to the fuse box.
Chokes - a fancy name for a filter made by wrapping the wire leads around an iron form, essentially creating a trap for all of the garbage that is being produced by the programmer.

Radio Shack carries the iron forms that snap apart. They're in the bins that hold all of the geeky stuff like resistors, capacitors, fuses, light bulbs, and LEDs. With luck, you will find a sales droid who actually knows where the bins are in the store and can lead you to them. It's a big cabinet with lots of drawers, a lot like a mechanic's tool box. The drawers are labeled, one of the drawers is marked RF chokes. That is what you need.

The choke forms you need should be big enough to wrap the wires around. You MUST wrap the wires around the form or it will NOT work.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Try moving the power wire from the radio circuit to another circuit, for a check. If the problem goes away all you have to do is hook it up to some other circuit, heater for example.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58