QUARTER MILE TIMES

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
You are right,,, most came with the FE engines, 360 or 390 except that all FE engines can use the same bell housing.

I build FE race engines as a hobby and a 428 is basically a bored and stroked 390. I owned a 1973 F250 and built a "torque" 428 with low compression, for regular gas, and used it to pull my race car to the drag strip.. One day I ran it down the strip for fun, and it was in the 16's. It was not a race engine,,, it was built to tow and use regular fuel. I did not dyno it, but it should have had around 400 hp. I have a full race 428scj that is 560 hp. plus 100 hp spray= 660 hp. that is in my drag car, a 1960 Falcon.
352,360,390,406,427,428 were all FE engines of same exterior size.
390 is 4.05 bore and 3.78 stroke
428 is 4.13 bore and 3.98 stroke
On earlier post, I just did not want to be as long winded as this post to explain.

Not to be picky but you forgot the 410. I used to mud drag a 67 f-250 with a wild 390. Midwest points champ 2 years running.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to be picky but you forgot the 410. I used to mud drag a 67 f-250 with a wild 390. Midwest points champ 2 years running.

Good eyes...

Yes,,, and also left out the 332, but both engines are very rare. A 410 is basically a 390 bore with a 428 stroke. 4.05x 3.98

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
always wanted to build a 69-70 Stang with a 428scj in it... maybe someday...
i have had some experiences with FE engines, mainly 390`s...mostly i was into
BB Fords or the 351W engines....and some 351M-400M engines....

got any pics of your Falcon?

Yes, but most are video or printed pictures... I will have to take a few digital photo's.

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have a 2004 F 350 FX4 Lariat crewcab. It has a 4 inch magnaflow exhaust, an AFE stage 1 airbox and the Edge Juice w/attitude. also only have the stock tires . What times should I be running in the quarter mile? I tried 4 passes and managed to get 15 seconds at 94 miles a hour as my best time. Does that seem correct? What times are u guys running?

the edge is the biggest thing holding you back..
do you have 4wd ? if you got a good SCT tune, along w/a straight pipe and gauges you should be able to get into the 13's easily.. although i would recomend head studs at that power level, and a fuel pressure gauge because a hot tune will seriously tax the stock fuel pump

woofer700

Diesel is cool
Reaction score
wasnt the first FE block something like a 228 or something, also i thought the 352 heads were of a closed chamber design, if i remember right. they would raise comp like 1 point.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the 332 was the first FE block. It was mainly used in trucks. They did make a hp 352 way back when, but the best Ford heads for the FE are High Riser, Medium Riser,Tunnel Port and the SOHC. Back in the day, Ford made some aluminum heads for the A/C Cobras that where medium and high risers. The best affordable heads out there now are the aluminum Edelbrock heads. The 428 cj and scj heads are a close match but are steel heads. Other companies make hp heads for the FE, but most are very expensive. Recently they had a engine challenge build off, and four or five companies chose building the old obsolete FE. You can make 400-600 easy reliable hp with boring and stroking the FE.
I personally have five 428 and one 427 engines in my garage. I have run one engine since 1985, and I freshen it up with new rings, springs, and bearings, and it is ready for another season of 1/4 mile at a time thrashing. These engines are tough.

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
I'm running the factory filter, it's proven good to 500hp, I've got 4" turbo back exhaust, as well as a Banks intercooler with larger boost tubes and High Ram intake elbow. I'm pretty well covered for basic bolt-ons. My biggest problem is the stock 3.73 gears, some 4.10's or 4.30's would help alot, especially on the hole shot.

although it IS possible to make 500HP w/the stock intake, it should be noted that at that power level there IS A GAIN to be made w/an aftermarket intake.
i say this because when all this "" stock intake 500HP "" issue was being heavily debated i did a little testing of my own.

this was around xmas time last year and i was right at that power level. with my stock intake in place (actually a stocker i borrowed to test) i had a dyno file for the sct so the results would be consistent.
stock intake: 479, 484, 485
airaid intake: 507, 508

there were NO other changes made other than putting a different intake on. and i dynoed the stock intake FIRST so that any heat soak that could possible have negative affects would not be unfair to the stocker...

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i agree, just because something CAN support that power, doesnt mean it SHOULD.

supporting mods help the engine run more EFFICIENTLY, wich unlocks more power from the fuel you are already injecting.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You are right,,, most came with the FE engines, 360 or 390 except that all FE engines can use the same bell housing.

I build FE race engines as a hobby and a 428 is basically a bored and stroked 390. I owned a 1973 F250 and built a "torque" 428 with low compression, for regular gas, and used it to pull my race car to the drag strip.. One day I ran it down the strip for fun, and it was in the 16's. It was not a race engine,,, it was built to tow and use regular fuel. I did not dyno it, but it should have had around 400 hp. I have a full race 428scj that is 560 hp. plus 100 hp spray= 660 hp. that is in my drag car, a 1960 Falcon.
352,360,390,406,427,428 were all FE engines of same exterior size.
390 is 4.05 bore and 3.78 stroke
428 is 4.13 bore and 3.98 stroke
On earlier post, I just did not want to be as long winded as this post to explain.

A freind and I made a 410 engine out of the FE and it would pull. It was not a hot rod. I like what you can do with the Ford series FE engines.

Dave

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
although it IS possible to make 500HP w/the stock intake, it should be noted that at that power level there IS A GAIN to be made w/an aftermarket intake.
i say this because when all this "" stock intake 500HP "" issue was being heavily debated i did a little testing of my own.

this was around xmas time last year and i was right at that power level. with my stock intake in place (actually a stocker i borrowed to test) i had a dyno file for the sct so the results would be consistent.
stock intake: 479, 484, 485
airaid intake: 507, 508

there were NO other changes made other than putting a different intake on. and i dynoed the stock intake FIRST so that any heat soak that could possible have negative affects would not be unfair to the stocker...

I find that interesting, as I have an AirRaid intake, and LOST 12 HP with it installed, went back to stock, and am right back where I was.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58