QUARTER MILE TIMES

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A freind and I made a 410 engine out of the FE and it would pull. It was not a hot rod. I like what you can do with the Ford series FE engines.

Dave

They are very durable. When using the cj or scj heads with the 2.09 intake valves and 1.66 exhaust, you need a bore of at least 4.13 for good air flow around the valves. The stock 390 is a 4.05 bore. Stock 428 is 4.13 bore. Most 390s can be bored safely to 4.13 or even 4.16 but the blocks need to be sonic tested. Edelbrock rpm heads have stock valve sizes of 2.09 and 1.66. You can purchase the Edelbrock 427 bare head, and install the larger 2.19 intake valves. 2.19 valves need the minimum bore of 4.13 to clear the cylinder bores.
If you come up this way, I'll show you some trick FE stuff.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
this thread is totally derailed from 6.0 ET's........SO...maxtor, what is the availability of scj heads and valvetrain? who makes cams for these things, or are they special order mucho dinero pieces?

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this thread is totally derailed from 6.0 ET's........SO...maxtor, what is the availability of scj heads and valvetrain? who makes cams for these things, or are they special order mucho dinero pieces?

Sorry Zookie,,, you are right... This will be my last post on this thread about the FE... As I said before, Edelbrock has the aluminum equivalent to the cj, scj heads. They are around $1,400 a pair complete. Crane has the valve train and cams. Very affordable for the hp achieved.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
this thread is totally derailed from 6.0 ET's....
Sorry Zookie,,, you are right... This will be my last post on this thread about the FE...

I've let it drift a little as it has been a very interesting discussion so far. The original poster has not tossed up a complaint as of yet so feel free to carry on guys. I'm guilty of being a huge fan of both the FE's and the Windsor family.

Maybe just toss a little 6.0 advice in each thread. :sly

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
I find that interesting, as I have an AirRaid intake, and LOST 12 HP with it installed, went back to stock, and am right back where I was.

now that IS interesting indeed...
do you have the complete airaid intake or just a drop in replacement filter ??

were you using a dynolock file that locked the tranny so that the runs could be completely the same and repeatably consistent , ? or did you dyno it with your street/race file ??

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
now that IS interesting indeed...
do you have the complete airaid intake or just a drop in replacement filter ??

were you using a dynolock file that locked the tranny so that the runs could be completely the same and repeatably consistent , ? or did you dyno it with your street/race file ??

It is the full AirRaid intake, with reusable filter. Dyno's before, during and after were all done in my "race" tune. And other than the ones with the AirRaid on, they were all within 1.5 hp of each other. I dynoed again yesterday (stock filter) and got the same numbers again.

woofer700

Diesel is cool
Reaction score
back in the day there was a cam company called Dempsy Wilson, they had a cam (707a), i know this is asking alot, but does anyone know who bought the company, or if anyone has any old cam books, what was this cam, my dad had this in his 66 Fairlane GT, I hope i have those numbers right, it was for a FE block. I have tried for years to find out this information, can anyone help with a 30 year old Quest. His original motor was built by Elmer Zinke, from Mankato Minn, and was a very accomplished dirt tracker from the 70s. I remember riding in the car once and blew both seams out of both mufflers at 130, that was the exact time i fell in love with HP.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58