Question About EGR

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I took a drive this morning and after arrival, I unhooked my EGR connection. Then i proceeded to return home. Well my indicated milage went from 16.5MPG to 18.2MPG and that is combined city and 55MPH driving. I did notice the greatest milage when I took off in city of 22MPG. Will keep testing this. My Milage at 55MPH was steady 23.2MPG

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
instant mpg doesnt mean squat...sorry but i can achieve 50 & 60 mpg
if i hit the reset button & coast.

youll see a minuscule increase in mpg if you see any increase in mpg at all.

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
This was current average over 10 miles. and the 55MPH was at steady speed for runs of about a mile each. and here in florida there are no hills. and yes I do get 9999 MPG with the breaks on. I do watch the Current MPG, Instant MPG. Current millage is from key on to key off, which includes stopping at lights.

Last edited:

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
You will also notice the turbo spool up quicker, and a little more of that turbo music we all love. Now lose the cat, put some stainless on there from the turbo back, and do a zoodad mod. Mileage may improve a little, gotta hand calculate to be accurate. You will be proud to know you are no longer dumping spent exhaust gases into your engine. It will show in a blackstone test. It astounds me how many will say not to do this for emissions reasons and the same guy lost his cat or did a ccv mod but the egr is off limits. Whatever. As far as I'm concerned until you've done this and given it a chance, you can't say. I accidently unhooked mine over 230,000 miles ago and my engine hasn't been out or apart except for egr cooler and hpop, and those were at 155k and 175k. Still running the original turbo. Heads never been off. Still got the 8 injectors and 8 glow plugs it left the factory with. I am certain the lack of an egr dumping crap into my engine has contributed to the longevity.

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
Good to know. What did you do with the cooler problem, you did not need it anymore? I had a 76 Dodge that blew an engine problem at 50K and since I drove the cars as much as possible without the EGR. But the new clean fuel should help though compare to 2005. Like when the gas had lead.

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
You will also notice the turbo spool up quicker, and a little more of that turbo music we all love. Now lose the cat, put some stainless on there from the turbo back, and do a zoodad mod. Mileage may improve a little, gotta hand calculate to be accurate. You will be proud to know you are no longer dumping spent exhaust gases into your engine. It will show in a blackstone test. It astounds me how many will say not to do this for emissions reasons and the same guy lost his cat or did a ccv mod but the egr is off limits. Whatever. As far as I'm concerned until you've done this and given it a chance, you can't say. I accidently unhooked mine over 230,000 miles ago and my engine hasn't been out or apart except for egr cooler and hpop, and those were at 155k and 175k. Still running the original turbo. Heads never been off. Still got the 8 injectors and 8 glow plugs it left the factory with. I am certain the lack of an egr dumping crap into my engine has contributed to the longevity.[/QUOTE

you never had it through a code?..may have to try this...:D

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Good to know. What did you do with the cooler problem, you did not need it anymore? I had a 76 Dodge that blew an engine problem at 50K and since I drove the cars as much as possible without the EGR. But the new clean fuel should help though compare to 2005. Like when the gas had lead.

The gases still go thru the cooler, not in your engine.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
you never had it through a code?..may have to try this...:D[/QUOTE]

It has stored egr codes since it was a few days old. No cel. Did this to my brothers truck [05] and had to clear the cel, no biggie. One of my neighbors has an Excursion [04] and last year I talked him into unplugging it after he had put in no less than 3 egr's. I literally yanked that plug before I fueled it for the first time. No way i was having that $#it pumping into the motor of a 48k truck.

atk

Reaction score
you never had it through a code?..may have to try this...:D

It has stored egr codes since it was a few days old. No cel. Did this to my brothers truck [05] and had to clear the cel, no biggie. One of my neighbors has an Excursion [04] and last year I talked him into unplugging it after he had put in no less than 3 egr's. I literally yanked that plug before I fueled it for the first time. No way i was having that $#it pumping into the motor of a 48k truck.[/QUOTE]

did your brother and neighbour notice any differences?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14