question

danman

way up here
Reaction score
would driving around with the red wastegate line removed cause any stress on my turbo or intercooler hoses? The reason that I ask is because the Overboost Eliminator fron SPDiesel suggests to remove the line with there cable installed in the map sensor line. My 7.3 is stock except for cold air intake and 4in. exhaust but I want to buy a Preditor programmer in the near future and not worry about defueling or setting a code when I get on the pedal. What do you guys think??

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as long as you dont hit the 30 LB mark all the time...after 27 or so LB of boost you have too much back PSI....this is hard on the turbo...with it un hooked you spool alot faster....that is whats nice about it...you must have the wicked wheel in there?? if not..she will surge alot..thats not good ether...im running a 1.00 exhaust housing with the WW and waste gate set for 32...i hit that fast and hard..

Last edited:

danman

way up here
Reaction score
No wicked wheel, stock turbo. I bought this overboost eliminator cable thinking I would need it when I get the programmer, but Im just not shure if I should disconnect the wastegate line as they suggest. I dont want to blow up my turbo.

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may want to get the wicked wheel before you do it.....you will get surge sure as chit...it is not good for a turbo at all..it sounds like a pressure cooker and you will see the boost gauge bounce...what this is.. the turbo will stall..the wheel and shaft are spinning well over 10,000 RPM's then comes to a sudden stop then starts again..if the bearing happens to hold up..the shaft is sure to break...after you put the wheel in..just don't hit 30 too often and you will be ok..
I don't know any thing about the cable..I run the ITP OBA..it will hold boost going to the map at 22 lbs without dumping the pressure all while the turbo is still building the boost and feeding it to the motor..the electronic ones tend to be slow to re act and messes up low end power..

Overboost Annihilator

danman

way up here
Reaction score
OK thanks for the quick replys. I think maybe Ill hold off on the overboost eliminator and try just going with the programmer by itself. All im looking for is a little more power and mileage with out blowing thngs up!

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks for the quick replys. I think maybe Ill hold off on the overboost eliminator and try just going with the programmer by itself. All im looking for is a little more power and mileage with out blowing thngs up!

you can still use it..it wont hurt any thing...just dont un hook the red line...

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No harm, foul or offence intended here but..... just to clear things a bit ?

The stock compressor doesn't come to a sudden stop when surge or stall occurs. It's being driven by the exhaust wheel on the other end of the shaft.

Maybe the easiest way to try and explain surge/stall is: The (stock) wheel "Cavitates" in a negative pressure bubble that forms in the compressor housing... due to the lack of efficient air flow... caused by the 99.5+ wheel being re-designed.. to not Whine.... (much like a Boat prop cavitates in an air bubble in a tight turn. It's nether biting water or pushing it.)

It gets into "Rocket Science" but, simply put, that's what happens.

When the wheel does stall... the Load intermittently changes on it, the bushing and the shaft., Over time and use demands.. that [could] cause some issues, in time and miles. JMO.

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
depends on the tuner. a good program will take into account the REST of the truck. that is why i choose DP tuner's 80hp econo program. it was written with stock turbo, 4R100 and stock injectors in mind.

as far as boost blow off gadget, you wont need it with a good program and stock fuel and oil system. its hard to build that kind of power with it. i have not defueld ever. max pulling was a 2 up loaded horse trailer.? 7k? then again, i took it easy and got up to 25-28 psi boost, no codes.

JRJ04

Reaction score
depends on the tuner. a good program will take into account the REST of the truck. that is why i choose DP tuner's 80hp econo program. it was written with stock turbo, 4R100 and stock injectors in mind.

as far as boost blow off gadget, you wont need it with a good program and stock fuel and oil system. its hard to build that kind of power with it. i have not defueld ever. max pulling was a 2 up loaded horse trailer.? 7k? then again, i took it easy and got up to 25-28 psi boost, no codes.

DP Tuner all the way! I can tell you from experience that the predator will cause surge like you wouldnt believe. My turbo would surge on the 40 hp tow tune with a few thousand lbs behind it. I can run the DP econo or tow tune and have virtually no surge at all.

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No harm, foul or offence intended here but..... just to clear things a bit ?

The stock compressor doesn't come to a sudden stop when surge or stall occurs. It's being driven by the exhaust wheel on the other end of the shaft.

Maybe the easiest way to try and explain surge/stall is: The (stock) wheel "Cavitates" in a negative pressure bubble that forms in the compressor housing... due to the lack of efficient air flow... caused by the 99.5+ wheel being re-designed.. to not Whine.... (much like a Boat prop cavitates in an air bubble in a tight turn. It's nether biting water or pushing it.)

It gets into "Rocket Science" but, simply put, that's what happens.

When the wheel does stall... the Load intermittently changes on it, the bushing and the shaft., Over time and use demands.. that [could] cause some issues, in time and miles. JMO.

in other words..when this bubble forms there is no resistant on the wheel witch will cause the wheel to spin faster and boost drops..when the bubble pops it is now being suddenly slowed down with the resistant of the air and starts to build boost again.....much like a cooling fan in front of the rad...when it kicks in..it robs about 20HP and can be felt at road speed.....thats a lot of TQ on a bearing and shaft...the turbo has a much smaller bearing and shaft then a cooling fan..and the cooling fan has clutches to take some of that snap out of it where the turbo shaft has nothing to take the snap out of it..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14