Questions about the 6.0 Motor?

scorpion111180

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am very new to the Diesel trucks. I am looking at purchasing a 2007 F350 Crew Cab Short Box 4x4. It has the 6.0 Powerstroke and the Automatic transmission. Since day 1 when these motors came out I have heard nothing but horror stories about these 6.0 motors. I have owned Ford's my whole life but always half tons. I have read a few things on the 6.0 to put APR head studs and do the EGR delete. Just wondering if there is other mods to do to these trucks to make it bulletproof and reliable. I would also like to put a Tuner Chip, 4 or 5" Turbo back exhaust, Cold air Intake on it as well. I would like to add these mods for more performance as well getting better gas mileage If anyone has any recommendations on what works for these trucks. I will use this truck as a daily driver and use it to pull my 25" holiday trailer.

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have emissions testing, do the EGR delete. Studs are not a necessity if you watch your oil and coolant delta, (should be no more than 15*). If you have a greater than 15* difference, your oil cooler or egr could be plugged, which is how the heads lift when the coolant gets flash boiled. If you do an EGR delete changing out the oil cooler is a good idea as well, since you are in there that far. Going with an exhaust will help out as well. "They" say unless you are going for 500+hp the stock airbox works as good or better than aftermarket. As for a "chip", go with a SCT SF3 with custom tunes. Who ever writes the tunes will write them for studs or no studs. Lastly, put a coolant filter on the truck and switch to an EC-1 rated ELC coolant.

Last edited:

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome
Everything majek5 said is right on keep the stock air intake and spend your $$$$ on other things.
Just remember there are 2 things wrong with the 6.0 (1)When the motor was casted they did not get cleaned or get washed out so they never remove all the casting sand in the motors some they did some they did not. (2)The Ford Gold Cxxp coolant is the other thing this coolant is only good for max 30-40K then it needs to be flushed and it is a real killer if you pull because of the heat and the silicates drop out quicker so ELC coolant and a coolant filter are a must so here you go!!!! 1. oil by-pass to clean the oil the stock filter (use only Ford Filters) cleans the oil to 20 microns the by pass cleans to 2 microns these injectors run in oil and try and use Syn oil but you must change at 5k because of the shear of the oil by the injectors and remember these motors push 15 to 18 gallons of oil a minute and if you are in the colder country use a 5w40 and if you are in the warm country use a 15w40. 2 Gauges-- I like the Edge Insight, will give you a lot of information a great tool you need to know your temps, i'm running EOT-ECT-EGT-Trans no more than 15* difference in the ECT-EOT i think 10* if more your coolers are starting to get plugged. 3. Fuel pressure gauge under 45lbs kills injectors and over 70 may blow injector o-rings and if you are under 45lbs Ford has a new reg kit to up the pressure this is a must and run a cetane boost in the fuel to clean the turbo and EGR valve and about every week drive it like you stole it after it warms up, that takes about 20-30 minutes of driving to get the heads warmed up or get the oil to around 185-190* and never go over 28lbs of boost or you may stretch the head bolts, use only Ford or Racor fuel filter change at 15k and if you pull change at 10k 4. Coolant filter a must to remove the casting sand and all the other carp in the coolant to try and keep the coolers clean. 5. ELC coolant change, to remove the Ford Gold Crap coolant the number one reason these coolers fail, the coolant gets to hot (caused by the EGR cooler HOT gases dumping back in) then the silicates drop out turning into a goo slim and plugs the coolers, the first in line to plug is the oil cooler but the EGR cooler is the first to go because of the heat that is why if you do not have to go through DEQ testing a EGR delete is a good move then you could do a light tune (maybe) like the SCTX3 it is the only one because it works with the trans also but ARP studs are need also the down side is they have to pull the cab to do this:eek:, so i will stay stock.
2 stroker

scorpion111180

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the reply's guys. You must need a tuner to keep an eye on the temps hey? I have also heard that the EGR failure and a headgasket failure give off the same symptoms is that true? Both lose mystery coolant and have no leaks? Also would both symptoms have a sweet smell in the cab? What is the best sounding exhaust for these trucks? I have heard some that whistle like an F-18 Fighter jet when just idling. For the Tuner I have been looking at the Edge CTS Racing do you guys know if they are any good or have as many options as other brands? I have heard that APR is the brand to go with on head studs but have heard very little on the EGR delete system is there a brand that is above the rest or are they all the same thing? If you replace your oil cooler like you were saying is there aftermarket out there or do you just replace with Ford? Thanks again.

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the reply's guys. You must need a tuner to keep an eye on the temps hey?
Answer--NO you need something like the Edge Insight
This is the New Edge Insight the one i have they no longer make
EDGE 83730 Insight CS (Fits 1996 and Newer OBDII-Enabled Vehicles)
or this is the one that i would get bigger is better but if i got it my wife would kill me
EDGE 83830 Insight CTS (Fits 1996 and Newer OBDII-Enabled Vehicles)
The pyro, that is a must if you pull or not
EDGE 98601 EGT Accessory for CS and CTS (non-expandable)
I have also heard that the EGR failure and a headgasket failure give off the same symptoms is that true?
Answer-- NO, EGR cooler you have white smoke out the exhaust and it smells sweet and you can pull the egr and it will be wet like a goo. This should smoke only for a short time tell the coolant burns off. HG you will be puking coolant out the degasing tank with white stuff all over the bottle and motor.
Both lose mystery coolant and have no leaks?
Answer--NO HG you will see the leak and sometimes hear it. EGR you will see it in white smoke.
Also would both symptoms have a sweet smell in the cab?
Answer--NO HG maybe, EGR only if the wind is blowing right in the morning.
What is the best sounding exhaust for these trucks?
Answer-- For me stock no real need but a 4" turbo back cat delete will work.
I have heard some that whistle like an F-18 Fighter jet when just idling.
For the Tuner I have been looking at the Edge CTS Racing do you guys know if they are any good or have as many options as other brands?
Answer--Edge Insight CTS but not there tunes because they say it will kill the trans go with the SCT X3 by Matt at Gearhead or Innovation Diesel have them wright the tunes you want and need this one is OK for the trans.
I have heard that APR is the brand to go with on head studs but have heard very little on the EGR delete system is there a brand that is above the rest or are they all the same thing?
Answer--ARP studs are the way to go with stock HG and here is a good place for your stuff BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0 or 6.0L Powerstroke EGR Cooler Delete Kit with Stainless Up-Pipe
If you replace your oil cooler like you were saying is there aftermarket out there or do you just replace with Ford?
Answer--http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/
Thanks again.

Hope this helps
2 stroker

Last edited:

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks:coffee Well when it is raining out truck is ready to go all that is left is the PC, retired 5 years:eek: just trying to help others.
2 stroker

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I finally got to see a 6.0 with the heads off. My cuz installed ARP head studs and did the egr delete. Pretty cool seein a crew cab on our lift. Def makes it a lot easier to work on that motor. If you do the things listed below, you will have a bulletproof and mean hot rod motor. Just check out youtube for 6.0's and you will see the numbers these trucks are doin. Of course they have a lot more than headstuds done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58